Tuesday, May 5, 2009

American Idol Season 8 - Week 9

Final four time, and this week, it's Rock and Roll...featuring SLASH! Pretty cool...I didn't realize GnR were around in 85, per Ryan Seacrest, but whatever. So we have four contestants left, and before we begin, I wonder how they're going to pad this into 1 hour...they should have them sing two songs each...I mean, there are plenty of rock songs out there. In any case, all 4 people left can sing, so this should be an interesting night.

First up is Adam Lambert, and here's the funny thing. My dental hygienist Mindy was saying to me earlier today (while I was getting my teeth cleaned) that someone should sing Led Zeppelin. So what does Adam sing? Led Zeppelin's classic "Whole Lotta Love". I'm actually pretty excited to hear this. This is the PERFECT song for Adam - listen, I know I'll get grief from Zeppelin fans, but I really, really enjoyed his performance. I do agree with Slash - he needs to keep from going off the rails TOO much, but I thought he was overall great. The song allows Adam to be Adam - indulge in himself and go flying off the rails at every opportunity. And for once, I didn't think it was uncalled for. He was channelling Robert Plant (although there is only one Robert Plant...) tonight. He really commands the stage and you can tell he's comfortable there. Good job Adam! Randy loved it...so did Kara. In fact, she called him a "Rock God". Kara is really annoying tonight - she is screaming while giving her comments, doing the Billy Idol fist. Paula calls Adam a "Whole Lotta Perfect..." Simon said it could have been a disaster, but instead it was one of his favorite performances that Adam has ever done. Only problem is no one can top it (we'll see, Simon...) Adam tells Ryan he was so excited to get the opportunity to sing some Zep...I think he did Plant, Page and company proud. Can you imagine if he did "Immigrant Song"? Holy crap, he'd probably blow a few blood vessels there. OMG - that would be hilarious hearing that....

Next up is Allison Iraheta, doing "Cry Baby". We learn during the package that it was between this Janis Joplin s and "Somebody To Love" by Jefferson Airplane. Before she begins to sing, I am hoping she chooses "Somebody to Love" because I think it would be amazing. Alas, Slash convinces her to sing the Joplin song. I don't think it is the right choice, but we'll see. She takes the stage, and the first thing I'm struck by is that I am comparing her to the original. It's not that she sings it bad at all, but I think "Somebody to Love" is a better song and would allow her to show more range. Having said that, I think Allison does what Allison does best. She powers through the song, and while I'm still thinking of Janis Joplin while she's screaming "CRY BABY!!!", I can appreciate Allison and her voice. I didn't think it was as good as Adam, but it could have been if she had chosen the other song! Randy didn't think it was a good song choice either. Kara said she definitely sees her singing Joplin, but maybe a different choice (like "Piece of My Heart"). Paula suggests that Allison appear in a biopic of Janis Joplin. And then Randy calls for Simon to give his response (he does this throughout the night, and it's super annoying...it's like he's try to rush Paula through, which normally isn't a bad thing, actually...). Simon said she had confidence and that she's grown a tremendous amount in the past 8 weeks. He said though, that she sounded too much like the original and that she should have chosen "the Queen song". Sorry Simon, but it's not THAT "Somebody to Love"! Allison corrects him, and Simon rewards her by rolling his eyes and then telling her it's time for her to "beg"...what? That is one of the most obnoxious things I have ever heard come out of his mouth. He really can be a d*ck, can't he? If I were Allison, I would have just gone down and punched him...well, maybe not because then I'd be out of the competition, but really...JERK.

Next up is Danny Gokey AND Kris Allen...see, they are going to pad tonight's episode with two duets...oh boy. They sing "Renegade" by Styx. It's ok, but Danny is clearly better than Kris on this. Kris looks uncomfortable up there, even more so than Danny. Danny injects some feeling and soul into the song. Kris kinda just goes through the motions. I wasn't really impressed with this, and hope they don't do this again. :^) Wow, Kris really sounds bad on this. Danny is practically overpowering poor Kris. I couldn't even hear Kris at the end. Randy said he liked the harmonies. Kara said they were better together than by themselves. Paula liked it - powerful and compelling. Simon said Danny was better than Kris.

I'm telling you, Kris Allen looks so uncomfortable out there, like he doesn't want to come back from the break to sing The Beatles. Hmmmm....but he does, and we learn the choice is between "Revolution" and "Come Together", and he picks "Come Together". I was thinking "Helter Skelter" to really shake things up...so Kris is going to make "Come Together" and make it a soulful KA version. Slash suggests that Kris get a little livelier on stage. That's what I said! Kris sings "Come Together", and I thought it was pretty good. It is a little laid back, but Kris does his best to work up a sweat. It's Kris we're talking about here, so there is only so much he can do. It's not really his type of music - he wants to do more of a bluesy version. I think it sounds fine - nothing too memorable, but I thought he didn't embarrass himself. Randy enjoyed it, coming from someone who isn't a rock person. Kara said it wasn't a great performance. Paula said that the song had his signature all over it, and she liked it. Simon didn't like it - it was "rather like eating ice for lunch...it will leave you with nothing to remember it afterwards". Simon says no one could top Adam, and he claims he's right. Kris looks like a person who knows he may be going home this week. Either that, or he didn't get enough sleep (like me!).

Danny Gokey is going to tackle "Dream On" by Aerosmith. That is a big song there, my friend. That song is so identified with Steven Tyler, especially at the end when he screams. That's NOT Danny, so I'm scared to hear this. He starts out ok, but once the song picks up, he (as always) shines. I think the majority of this performance is actually very good - it's just the beginning, and then that scream at the end. It's positively painful to listen to. It starts out kinda ok, but man, it quickly deteriorates. Only Steven Tyler can really do that. Wow...ugh. Randy says he knows this isn't Danny's genre - but he gives him an A+ for effort. Kara said he took the swagger a little bit too far. She also says she sees him singing more "early" Aerosmith like "Crying" or "Crazy" (um, Kara, "Dream On" came out in the early 70's...those songs you mentioned came out in the early 90's....). She's back to her fist pumps again. Please stop. Paula didn't think it was the right song, but says she's a huge fan. She panders to the audience ("How many of you love Danny out there..."), before turning it over to Simon. He said the last note was out of a horror movie. However, after all that, he still thinks Danny will be safe tonight. Danny says he has to go back and listen to it to see if he agrees with the judges or not. I think for the majority of the song it was very good, but that last note...sheesh. Don't do that again!!

Finally, Adam and Allison do a duet to Foghat's "Slow Ride". It's the exact opposite of the other duet - this one really rocks. Both Adam and Allison do an awesome job. As much as everyone gloats about Adam (and really, he deserves a bunch of praise - I'm not arguing this), Allison really impresses on this song. She is such a powerful singer for her age. They are clearly the two rockers left on the show, and in some ways, I wouldn't be disappointed in an Adam/Allison finale. However, I'm still pulling for Danny and either Adam or Allison. I think you would have contrasting styles and therefore make the finale more interesting.

Anyway, all four judges loved it, and I agree! They really rocked it tonight...great, great job Adam and Allison!!

So this is how I rank them tonight (including the performances in the duets):

Adam
Allison
Danny
Kris

I think Kris needs to go next - we shall see. He has a big fanbase, but so do the other 3. It's very tough to call.

So who will be booted? Tune in tomorrow night to find out, but my money is on Kris. I sure hope it's not a shocker like Danny, and Allison and Adam definitely deserve one more week. Kris should go. If that happens, then any one of the final 3 would make an awesome American Idol this year. Good luck to all left in the competition at this point...ROCK ON!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment