Tuesday, February 23, 2010

American Idol - Season 9 - Week 1 (The Girls)

Ok, I'm going to set a record this evening...er, MORNING. I just finished working on my taxes, and I'm a little tired. And it's 12:37 am as I start to write this and I have a training class tomorrow. SOOOOO, without further adoooo (yes, I know I spelled that wrong), here are my BRIEF thoughts. Sorry, I'll try to be more detailed with the guys tomorrow. I just don't have the energy to write a lot this evening!! You'll see...I'll be brief. Very few smarmy (or is it snarky?) comments. Well, maybe one or two...

Paige Miles - I honestly have never seen this woman before. Did they show her at all during Hollywood week? Anyway, she kicks off Idol 2010 with "Alright Now" by Free. I don't think it's alright now, Paige (sorry, snarky comment #1...I don't even know what that means...) She shouts a lot, and overall I'm left wondering why the judges put her through. I mean, she has a big final note, but that was it? Eh...I wasn't a fan. Simon says she has the best voice? Huh??? Is he already thinking about his retirement from the show? Then he compared her to a wedding singer. Cara liked her choice of the song...said she "slayed" the verses but coulda done more with the chorus. Said she had a ridiculous voice. Randy said the song showcased her powerful pipes. Ellen agreed and disagreed with them. Whatever that means. She liked just about everything about Paige. So my first disagreement with the judges - I didn't get it.

Ashley Rodriguez - Another woman I've never seen before. She sings "Happy" by Leona Lewis. I have never heard the original (I know "Bleeding Love" - does that count!?!?) I think that the song is lousy doesn't help her. I think she's pitchy - way all over the place, and did I mention this is a horrible song? And short too! Which I guess I should be grateful for. Didn't like it - NEXT!! Cara said it's a big song to take on. Some nice moments...BUT definitely moments not so great. She wants her to pick songs we wouldn't expect. Randy agrees with Cara (Says that Leona is "Simon's Girl"....) Ellen said it's a great song (wha?????) Ellen wants more, though. Simon said it was clumsy and didn't like the arrangement. AND the first time Simon says, "And if I can be honest with you..." Simon - you're ALWAYS honest with us...rut roh...he said the dreaded "I think you're in trouble" curse...she's gone!! Trust me...if Simon says so, it's true.

Janell Wheeler - I find this girl cute. Let me just get that out there right up front. I HAVE seen and heard her before. I had mixed feelings about her going into tonight...regarding her voice, that is. So...she picks "What About Love" by Heart. I know this song...sounds like she's rushing it a bit at first. I think this song is way too big for her. And maybe she can sing stuff like this, but I am not hearing it tonight. Almost sounds like a Karaoke singer up there. Not impressed. Again, she's cute, but wow, at the end, she is SHAKING!! SUPER NERVOUS!!!! Randy said bad song choice, although he still likes her. Ellen liked the song choice and thought she did well. A few bad moments, but she liked it. Simon said she gave it a 100% effort, and only came through 65%. Said she was off key, but there were moments that he did like. He predicts survival. Kara agrees with me - the song is "too big" for her. I should be up there.

Lilly Scott - The sandwich artist is up next. She picks "Fixing a Hole" by The Beatles. Uh oh. Now, I know this song very well. It's on Sgt. Pepper. I have no idea why she picked this. Look, I like this girl - but I wasn't wild about the song choice. She's trying to make it her own, but I don't get it. And another thing - she really doesn't need that guitar up there. Not impressed with this one - I hope she returns, because I like her. But just not tonight's performance. Ellen liked it - said her voice is very distinctive. Unique. Simon said the best we've heard before. Said she sang it because she liked it, rather than just picking something that she thinks they'd like. Not sensing star power...yet.... Kara says she's believable. Everyone will remember her. Randy said she's a real "indie" artist. Compares her to Duffy.

Katelyn Epperly - Another cutie...did I just say that? This girl looks like she could be on a soap opera. Like Janell - I am on the fence with this girl up to this point. So she sings "Oh Darlin" by The Beatles. I liked it. Didn't blow me away, but I definitely liked it. The only performance I really cared for from beginning to end. Simon agrees with me - he liked it, although he said she'll need a lot of work. Kara liked it too. She doesn't like her look, though. (I agree with her, by the way...too much makeup...although the outfit is nice...) Randy liked the whole vibe. Ellen was impressed overall - just felt she was pushing too hard at times. Anyway, I thought she did a good job. Awkward moment of the night - Kara said that Katelyn thought that she was a "BITCH"...wha????

Haeley Vaughn - She picks the 3rd Beatles song of the night - this time, it's "I Wanna Hold Your Hand". Again, with the guitar - why do these people feel they need to play an instrument up there? Now, I heard this twice - when I heard it the first time, I HATED IT....but when I listened back a second time, I didn't mind it as bad. There were some moments that were not quite good at all, but I think if I was in the audience, it may have sounded better than it did coming over the TV. I don't know. Kara said there were some technical issues...but she could sense Haeley's sense of fun. Just has to work on her technical abilities. Randy - said she's unpredictable...but agrees with Kara. When she tries to hit the high notes, it doesn't quite work. Ellen enjoyed it. Simon said it was "verging on terrible"...like a "wind up doll that never stopped smiling"...a "complete and utter mess". I would suggest Simon listen to it a second time like I did.

Lacey Brown - I just realized I'm not being brief...ugh. Anyway, this girl's got cool, 80's rocker hair. And I did like her performance during Hollywood. But let me tell you - listening to her try to sing "Landslide" by Fleetwood Mac. Ugh. Just unlistenable. I knew right away. The way she phrased the word "DOWN"....OMG. Just awful. And I don't want to be mean, because I know it takes a lot to get up there, and just to make it that far. And I can't sing. But wow. I had to fast forward it to the end. Then I felt guilty, went back and listened again, and yup...still didn't like it. OK last note, but that was about it. And cool hair. Randy said it wasn't the right song - in fact, he called it "terrible". Ellen said she thinks she's better than that. Simon said it was depressing and indulgent. Kara said normally she hits those notes, but not tonight. Bad song choice - then she suggests she do something like Sixpense None The Richer or THE SUNDAYS! Wow, I'd like to see a Sundays song performed on Idol. Simon said she has nice eyes. Great shot of Simon looking bored when she is talking about her performance.

Michelle Delamor - Don't know this young lady either. Don't recall hearing her sing prior to tonight. She takes on Alicia Keys' "Fallin'". I would call this a competent performance - didn't love it, didn't hate it. It was OK, and you know tonight, with these performances, that may be enough! She looks nervous out there too. Ellen said it was fantastic, but safe. Can do even better if she tries. Simon said it was very professional, but wasn't wowed. Kara said it was uneven - and you can't be uneven when you're trying to be the "diva". But she liked it overall. Randy said it was pretty good, and she has more in her and should take more risks.

Didi Benami - I swear, this girl could room with Brooke White on an Idol All Star tour. I like her as a performer and look forward to hearing her tonight. She sings "The Way I Am" by Ingrid Michaelson (??). This reminds me of Megan Corkrey. I haven't heard the original, so I can't really compare this. I thought it had good moments and some bad moments, but overall, it wasn't bad. Wow, I'm STILL not blown away by anyone. Simon said she's good, but there are too many people trying to sound like Adele and Duffy. He said he's missing a spark. I agree! Kara agrees and disagrees - likes the song, and she made changes to the original to make it her own. But it was pitchy. Randy is looking for the star factor, and doesn't see it at this point. Too sleepy. Ellen agrees - nice voice, good look, but first impression was too low key.

Siobhan Magnus - Now, let me get this out of the way. I dig her name, I dig her look (80's!!) and I think she's very cute in a unique way. She sings Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game", which is to me one of those songs you probably shouldn't touch. But like Haeley earlier, I went back and listened to this a second time, and liked it a lot more. I think she's got some powerful pipes, and really just needs to pick the right song. In the end, I quite liked it. But wasn't crazy nutty over it. But I enjoyed it. I like Siobhan - Kara refers to her as quirky, and that's exactly why I dig her. Randy thought she has a great voice, and deserved a bigger song. Ellen loved it - great choice. REALLY liked it. Simon said she's a funny little thing - didn't love it but didn't hate it either. Very dark song - then makes a comment about her blowing glass at her job. Anyway, call me a fan of hers. Did I mention I find her really cute? Yeah, I know I'm older. :^)

Crystal Bowersox - Ok, here we go. The one performer I couldn't wait to hear. This girl BLEW me away on every performance I heard from her. I predicted last week great things from her. Tonight she sings "Hand In My Pocket" by Alanis Morrissette. She not only plays the guitar, but she's got the harmonica going too. As soon as she begins, I start to smile. I also notice someone must have helped her out with the bleached teeth! Whatever - this girl is authentic, can really sing, and I just love everything about her so far. My clear favorite as a performer. She did nothing tonight to change my mind - I'm a huge Crystal fan. Randy said he loves her originality and honesty. Said it didn't matter what she sang - he likes her. Big fan, like Mort. Ellen is a big fan too. Very happy with that performance. Simon said it was good, but then said there are thousands like her playing in subway stations. Not original. Said she was too sound alike. I completely disagree with him. He suggests David Bowie...he also calls her refreshing and says she'll do well. Kara said she sees greatness in her, but just didn't see that tonight. It was good, but she wants more. Don't just be a coffee house performer. She says no doubt she'll be back next week.

Katie Stevens - Cute as a button...listen, I won't be saying this tomorrow night when the guys perform, so don't give me any crap for it while you read this! What can I say...anyway, she sings "Feelin' Good" by Nina Simone (that's who I associate the song with, not Michael Buble). I think Adam Lambert did this last year, and it's becoming an Idol standard! I first heard the song in the movie "Point of No Return"....anyway, I digress. I thought at times this song was too much for her, but then she just shut me right up. I was very impressed - did I mention she's cute as a button? Yeah, I liked her performance. Good job Katie! Ellen said it was good, but the song was very conservative. She wants to see her be 17 - sing something modern. I kinda saw that too, but I didn't really care about... Simon just RIPS into her, saying that her mom and dad dressed her up and told her to sing that. I hate when they say that stuff!! She can sing what she wants. Kara said she was all over the place...and the says she has REDONKULOUS chops (well, she said ridiculous, but you know what I meant). Randy said she reminds him of Jordan Sparks, but that she should pick stuff that is more age appropriate. I disagree, even if Katie agrees with them.

So let me tell you, I was impressed with Katelyn, Haeley, Siobhan, CRYSTAL, and Katie. I really didn't care for (and this is an understatement) Lacey, and think she's going to go. I am not sure if they get rid of 2 girls and 2 guys this week. If so, I'll say that Ashley goes as well since Simon cursed her. :^)

OK, so I finish up nearly 90 minutes later...I gotta go to bed! Hopefully I get an earlier start tomorrow night. Er, TONIGHT.... See ya later!!!

1 comment:

  1. I think adieu is really spelled adooo. It's a good thing you were brief. I can't imagine what this would have been like if you were wordy.

    ReplyDelete