Tuesday, April 20, 2010

American Idol - Season 9 - Top 7 - Week 6

Well, tonight was not a good night...I'm not talking about Idol, I'm talking about Direct TV and the audio problems I had on Fox this evening (but only apparently during the first 45 minutes of Idol...the last two performances were fine). I watched it over the air, and it was fine, so it was something related to Direct TV. On both of my receivers. Ugh. Oh well - I'll be VERY brief this week, as I really can't comment on most of the performances because I couldn't hear them properly!

Here are my random thoughts (based on what I could hear):

  • Casey James was typical Casey. Didn't feel authentic...smiled too much...good guitar, but I just didn't feel like he connected with the song. Yikes - I'm speaking in "Idol Cliches"....

  • Lee DeWyze sang "The Boxer", but I thought the theme was Inspirational Songs? That's kinda a depressing song...great song, but I wouldn't call it "Inspirational". Anyway, the judges went gaga over it...I thought it was OK, but he's done better. I didn't hear what they heard. Maybe because I think this is the type of song you don't really try to change up too much. And I'm used to Paul Simon's voice, not Lee DeWyze belting it out.

  • Tim Urban was pretty bad tonight...sorry (again) Karen, but his rendition of some Goo Goo Dolls was so pedestrian...no style at all. Boring. But he's got the VFTW crew working for him. The audio during Tim's song is really bad, but I've heard enough to know he SHOULD be going home soon. He just isn't in the same league as the others at this point.

  • Aaron Kelly is quickly choosing the most overplayed, bombastic songs available. I half expected him to sing that horrible Celene Dion song from Titanic. Ugh. So he sings "I Believe I Can Fly", and it does NOTHING for me. Boring...he, along with Tim, should be the next to go. Sorry Aaron - you should be proud of what you've done as a 16 year old, and I think he generally DOES have a decent voice (at times), but he needs more time. We'll see. Just stop picking these cheesy songs!

  • Siobhan Magnus sings "When You Believe" - I actually don't know this song (I know, shocking...), and the audio is out of control on my DVR...grrrrrr...I can't hear it! The audio keeps dropping out, and it's not matching her lips. I can't really describe her outfit, but again, as I always think, she looks amazing/adorable. And she's got great pipes, so I won't write anymore (since everything things I'm biased...um, well, maybe I am a little bit, but I truly believe she's a great singer with a TON of style...). So she's my favorite so far. I know - shocker.

  • Michael Lynche takes on "Hero" by Nickleback. Finally, the audio clears up enough for me to listen. I don't think Michael needs the guitar at all. His voice is really good, and I liked his performance. It was a little different for Mike, but the dude can sing. I hope he continues to go through the competition (although, I'm in a pool where if he went home, it would actually help me...)

  • The front runner, Crystal Bowersox, gets the primo spot at the end, and she really does shine with "People Get Ready"....now THAT is an inspirational song. She does a great job, but I was a little cheesed at her for losing it at the end. I'm sure it was legit, but for some reason, it actually rubbed me the wrong way. Regardless, she deserves her status as front runner, but I'm still voting like crazy for Siobhan. I would LOVE to see a Siobhan vs Crystal finale. I predicted that weeks ago, but this is a popularity contest, and who knows what will happen. They both deserve it. Crystal has been one of my favorites from the beginning, and I hope she keeps singing like she did tonight. Great job!!!
So my prediction? Either Aaron or Tim goes home, and I'm going with Aaron to actually go home. The VFTW votes, along with all the young girls (and Karen) voting for Tim MAY keep him around another week. We shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment