Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Season 10 - Top 7

Welcome to my AI Blog - this is where I humbly break down each week's performances by our Idol hopefuls. This has been a mixed bag this year - yes, there are some great performers left, but I don't seem to have the passion I've had in previous seasons. Maybe I'm still not over the Siobhan fiasco (I mean, leaving before Aaron? Ugh....) Maybe I miss Simon. Well, that's not a maybe - I DO miss his criticism and (at times) wit. Steven Tyler? Amazing front man, but horrible Idol judge.

Perfect example of what's wrong with Idol is the HORRIBLE performance of Pink's "So What" by the dismissed singers. How on earth did I ever pick Naima as the 3rd best singer in my pre-season breakdown? And why did Ashthon sound like Elmer Fudd while singing? And Paul? Is there any doubt he should have gone long before someone like Pia (who I was sad to see out there singing, but glad to actually see her again!) And shame on the Idol judges, especially Steven, for actually uttering the words "America is thinking twice about their decision!" Um, not this American. Well, except for Pia. She's awesome.

This week, we're going to be treated to the nostalgic sounds of the 21st Century. For those who are not in the know, that means songs from 2000 - today. So I'm sure there will be some songs I don't know, since I'm stuck in the 80's.

First up - Scotty McCreery. Can we call him Scott when he turns 18? I did enjoy the segments on the contestants cutting up each other - I was SOOOOO going to call out Scotty for holding the microphone like that, but didn't want to sound petty. But I should have - he's a dork. Yes, he can sing, but a dork nonetheless. Of course, I'm a dork too. But I digress. Of all the great country songs he can choose from, he picks LeAnn Rimes "Swingin'"? This doesn't sound like it will work, and for me, it didn't. I think Scotty holding the mike like a flute and raising his eyebrows every five seconds made me like it even less. I just don't really care for this song - there isn't much to it. And I agree with the judges - it was a very safe choice. Of course, Scotty has that voice that is made for radio, and I anticipate hearing him on the radio one day. And maybe it's better that way - I don't want to see the creepy Howdy Doody look anymore. Yeah, ok, so that may be uncalled for, but it wasn't one of my favorite performances of his. But no worries, Scotty fans - he's a lock to stay again this week.

This next performance is bound to cause some discussion around the water cooler this week - James Durbin is going to sing Muse's "Uprising". And I'm going to predict my friend Karen (the Haley hater) will dislike this immensely. She's protective of Muse, and ripped my girl Siobhan when she covered one of their songs during the AI Live Concert last year. Unlike that song, I've heard this one, so I at least can comment on it. At first I didn't like it - I think he was trying too hard to be like Adam Lambert in this. But then I listened to it two more times, and I really liked it. I am not a huge Muse fan, so for me, it was fresh and I could take it for what it was worth. James really can hit those crazy notes - yes, it was over the top, but that SONG is over the top. So why not? I think James will get his wish of singing with Steven Tyler during the finale because I'm thinking he's going to be one of the final two. He really is a performer that is incredibly entertaining. Great job, James. No matter what the Muse junkies say!! :^)

Haley Reinhart is up next - singing Adele's "Rolling in the Deep". I'll be honest - I've never been a huge Haley fan, but last week I enjoyed her rendition of "Call Me". And to my surprise - I liked her performance this week! Yes, I said it. I was a Haley fan this week! Maybe now that Paul is gone, I can share the love because I really don't dislike any of the remaining contestants. I thought it was very good - not amazingly great, but then again, those types of performances are few and far between. Good job, Haley! And while some may not like Haley (you know who you are), I'll just say that there have been far worse singers in AI history than Haley - remember Lacey Brown from last season? And Megan Joy the year before that? Ugh!

I'm not a huge fan of Jacob Lusk, but I thought he did a very good job tonight - it was a very personal song that he sang (Luther Vandross' "Dance With My Father"). I thought he was going to lose it, but he held on and I was impressed. I think Jacob, like Scotty, is very limited in that he can sing pretty much one type of song, but he sings that type of song really well. I liked him better this week than last, and that works for me. And unlike Randy, I don't need the histrionics every week - sometimes, being reserved is actually stronger than singing over the top.

I've become a big fan of Casey Abrams - other than his ill advised version of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit", he's been pretty solid and very entertaining. He takes on Maroon 5's "Harder to Breath", which is a great song for him. I think vocally he chose the perfect song. I did have to laugh, though, at his stomping around the stage like a 2 year old who had his toys taken away. And he was not slapping 5 with those in the front row - it looked like he was violently hitting them! But he ended it as only Casey can - he planted a kiss on JLo's cheek. I do wonder why she turned her head - was it his breath (as my wife pointed out!)? Was that planned? Probably...but still, it was a fitting end for a solid performance. I liked it! I'm not sure how much Marc Anthony liked it, but hey, it wasn't on the lips...so he can't be THAT upset. And he drove Steven to say, "There's millions of people in America that are really angry, because you pissed them off so f***in' good...you changed so many people's minds". That's about the extent of Steven's comments - he never says anything critical, AND he forgets he's on AI (well, not really...again, he could care less....)

Stefano Langone is portrayed as the loverboy, but he comes off as incredibly annoying. Kind of like his singing. He picks Ne-Yo's "Closer" (I had no idea what that song was called, but surprisingly I had heard it before). It starts out very rough - but once the chorus kicks in, I thought it got better. Interesting dance moves, Stefano (I can't talk, because, well, I can't dance, but it was a little awkward....) I thought the song got better as it went on, but it's kind of a repetitive song, so in the end, while I think he sang it pretty well, I wasn't blown away by it. Yes, he didn't go over the top like he normally does, but I think he is in danger of going home. I mean, there are only 7 left, and I think he's towards the bottom of the remaining singers. That's not a knock on him - I just don't see him lasting too much longer. We'll see - maybe I'm wrong.

My girl Lauren Alaina ends the show with the superfine Sara Evans. I predicted she would do a Sara Evans song, but instead of "Born to Fly", I picked "Suds in the Bucket". I think Lauren is great, but she's not always on top of her game, and this was one of those weeks. By no means is it bad - she's got a very good to great voice, but she does tend to hold back. And I just didn't feel her giving it 100%. I really, REALLY hope she stays - I've been a fan from day 1, and I KNOW she can hit it out of the ballpark. Just believe in yourself Lauren! You are there for a reason...BRING IT EVERY WEEK! So good job, but I know you have more in you...you better be here next week! I will not be happy at all if you get outlasted by Haley, Stefano or Jacob! C'mon....

So I think Stefano goes home this week, but wouldn't be shocked if it's Haley or even Jacob. I think Scotty has too much of a fanbase, and James should be untouchable at this point. Casey has been vulnerable, but I think his fans realized they better vote for him or he could easily be gone (doesn't deserve to, but you know what they say...you must vote!)

Ok, I'm going to bed...hope you enjoyed reading my "musings" - goodnight everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment