Wednesday, March 14, 2012

American Idol - Season 11 - Week 3

So I took a small sabbatical from my musings last week, but that was because I was growing tired of Idol. I still think it's losing it's luster after 11 seasons (and the second with a sub-par set of "judges", and I use the term "judges" very loosely...) . However, I'm back for this week, and here are my thoughts:

Phillip Phillips - Aside from having a GREAT NAME (thank you Jack Horner), Phil can really sing. Good song choice from me - he didn't go overboard with it, and I think that was smart. Nice way to start off the show. And no Dave Matthews leg kicks, so that's a bonus as well.

Jessica Sanchez - Have to agree with the judges. Didn't really care for the song choice and something about it just seemed off. She has a very powerful voice, but that wasn't really the song to showcase it. Too much vibrato for a song like that.

Heejun Han - I like this guy, but he picked a bad song. Agree with Mr. Critical - Steven Tyler - on this one. Way too breathy, and let's face it, the song is pure cheese. It didn't help that he was dressed in clown's bow tie. But Heejun needs his own talk show - regardless of where he finishes on this season's American Idol. He makes me laugh.

Elise Testone - This girl has REALLY won me over. She's pretty special, and I think does an amazing job of "Let's Stay Together". I love the smokiness of voice. Great job Elise!

Deandre Brackensick - Less hair flipping and less falsetto made this a much more palatable performance. However, the song is a major snoozefest. The 80's fan in me loves it, because, well, it's Lionel Ritchie and Diana Ross. But this is Deandre, and while it's better than he has shown me in previous performances, it's still not something I'm going to go coo-coo for cocoa puffs over.

Shannon Magrane - While I like Shannon, I didn't really care for her performance tonight. It pailed in comparison to the original, which of course most of these versions do. But just didn't feel like it was her best - she's done much better previously.

Colton Dixon - I underestimated Colton. He really did well tonight, and has done well all season. I can see him making it to the top 4 or 5 pretty easily. He's got a great voice and that alt-rock look to him. I wonder what he would look like today with "regular" hair? Hmmm....I did think it was funny that Steven saved his most vitriolic response for Colton - it's as if Steven got in a feud with White Lion (or was it Great White??) in the 80's and refused to let go of it. I liked the performance, even if I didn't know the song. Steven hated it. Next!

Erika Van Pelt - I recently had "I Heart Erika Van Pelt" as my status update. While I'm not backing down completely from that stance (she does have a resemblance to a modern day Molly Ringwald), I think she's lost some of that appeal, especially when compared to other female singers like Elise or Hollie. However, I definitely still dig her. I do agree with the judges - the arrangement was a little bombastic, but she certainly deserves to stay around. But I have a sneaking suspicion she may be in the bottom 3 this week. Hope I'm wrong. She wouldn't deserve it.

Skylar Lane - I'm surprised at how much I have enjoyed listening to Skylar. Sure she is super twangy, but I think she does what she does well. I really liked her performance tonight, and I'm not really a fan of Bonnie Raitt. I thought it was good.

Joshua Ledet - Simply amazing. Not even close - best singer tonight. Wow. For once, the judges were not going overboard with undeserved praise...this was worth a standing ovation.

Hollie Cavanagh - Is this girl adorable or what? But even more important - she can absolutely KILL it. While she had the misfortune of following up Joshua, I thought she held her own. Not perfect, but pretty darn good. One of the strongest voices in the competition. Great job Hollie - you made me not hate a Celine Dion song! But that's because you were singing it... :^)

Ok, that's it for tonight kids...have a good night...oh, one more thing - I don't know what was more tacky tonight: Jimmy Iovene's shameless plug for that wireless phone/music boom box he had, or the producers recording and AIRING the discussion with Jermaine. Both were pathetic. This is why Idol will continue to struggle in my book. Neither of those things had any place on the air. They could have just a) ran a commercial for that phone, and b) said that Jermaine had to leave the show. That's all. Shame on you Idol...very weak.

No comments:

Post a Comment