Wednesday, March 18, 2009

American Idol Season 8 - Week 2

Uh-oh. It's "Grand Ole Opry" (i.e. Country) week...and this scares me. I don't profess to know a lot about country music - I know modern country somewhat because of my wife, and let's face it, I live in Carroll County MD! But still, it's not one of my favorite genres of music. And I just have a bad feeling about this week.

We do get to see country legend Randy Travis - I always think that when he sings, he doesn't open his mouth. And he also appears to have shellacked hair. But nonetheless, the man has had a butt load of hits, so he's a good guy to have on there, as good as anyone else for this themed week.

Michael Sarver is up first - the Texas oil rigger decides to take on Garth Brooks "Ain't Going Down Til The Sun Comes Up", which as Michael points out, has a LOT of lyrics that are sung in rapid fire. I know this song, and unless Michael comes out really swinging, I predict this will be somewhat flat. Michael to me is more of a ballad singer, and I can't picture him pulling this off.

First thing I notice is not whether Michael is forgetting words or not, it's that darn harmonica player who is getting almost as much screen time as the Texas native. Michael looks like he's running out of breath about halfway though the song. He doesn't really look comfortable out there, and I can't understand half of what he's singing (maybe that's the point...can't remember the lyrics, just make them up!) Anyway, as much as Michael tries, I don't think he succeeds on this. Randy said it was a cool song choice, but didn't think it was anything special from a vocal standpoint. Kara missed the big notes, but was impressed he could remember the words. Michael decides to get the crowd on his side by saying, "Country music is about having FUN!" I couldn't tell by his performance. Sorry! Paula liked it and thinks he should stick with country. Simon said it SHOULD have been good, but couldn't understand what he was singing (me too!). He said it was clumsy and didn't appear to be a star. Michael then responds, "If we were all perfect, we wouldn't need this show"....Simon then gives him a 1.5 out of 10..."At least it's not a Zero!" Michael says. This guy needs his own talk show! What a talker...

Alison Iraheta is up next singing another country song I don't know. The package before she sings is noticeable for Randy Travis actually uttering the words, "You've got some GREAT pipes". I felt dirty just typing that. Anyway, Allison is just ok. I mean, it's not horrible, and the more I listen to it, it's actually not that bad. She's got her moments, and her voice is pretty good. Her hair still really annoys me, and those bottom braces...but that's just me being obnoxious about her looks. I'm sorry Alison! Kara uses the old "You could sing the alphabet" cliché. Ugh. At this point, I have no idea how I'm going to make it through the entire episode with Paula's hideous cleavage. Ugh, part two. Simon agrees with me - it was good, but not great. Randy thinks it's "dope". Dawg.

(as a side note, I went back and watched her performance again, and actually liked it a lot more because at least she had ENERGY..some of these performances this week were so BORING...so good job Alison!!)

Next up is Mr. Personality - Kris Allen. I'm surprised he somehow didn't work in a Michael Jackson song. He sings "To Make You Feel My Love", which I believe is a Billy Joel song? Or maybe it was Garth Brooks, who covered it? Again, I don't know country very well. Anyway, he sits there during the whole song, and tries an awful falsetto at the end. It's so boring I may fall asleep typing this. Vocally he's got talent, no doubt, but as I said, it's kinda boring. Paula liked it, Simon thought it was "terrific" (really???), and says "he has a shot at doing really well in this competition"...Randy loves it too...he calls him a "Tender Dawg". Kara loved it too. I must be watching something else, because I didn't care for it much. According to Kris, "Good comments are always good". Very deep. Simon just called him a "Tender puppy".

After some commercials, we get Lil Rounds, my second favorite in this competition. I love Lil - she looks TOTALLY different this week, and I think she looks great! Lil informs us she's not really a country fan, and is nervous about taking on one of these songs. She says she's going to hold back this week so she can honor the music. She's going to sing Martina McBride's "Independence Day" - and after some tips from Randy Travis, she gives it a go. Second reference from Travis on "Big Pipes"... :^) She seems a little hesitant on the first part of the song, but when the chorus kicks in, she really opens it up. I have to agree with Mr. Travis - she does have big pipes (and I don't mean it like that!). She finishes the song with a big note, and I liked it. Not mind blowing, but she did a respectable job. Randy didn't like the beginning, but thought it was just ok towards the chorus. It was just "kinda alright". That's Randy-speak for "I didn't care for it...". I have a feeling that the judges are not going to go easy on her. Kara also didn't like the beginning, but doesn't fault her for picking that song. Paula thought she was great all around - and suggested she shouldn't have sang two verses up front, but rather just go right into the chorus after one verse! WHAT?!?!? Anyway, Simon has problems calling her "Lil" - short for Little, according to the Brit. He uses the tired "Wedding Singer" reference. Screw the judges! I still like Lil. And I can't stand Simon calling her "Little"...whatever!

If I see one more commercial for the Osbournes, I'm going to scream. So after that, we come back to Adam Lambert and Randy Travis in the package. Adam decides to do a Middle Eastern sounding version of "Ring of Fire". Travis didn't care for Adam's nail polish either. This isn't going to be good...is it? Well, no. It's AWFUL. So bad, I want to kick Adam off on principal alone this week. And he's one of my top 3! Wow. Words can't describe how bad this gets. I understand what he's trying to do - I just can't stand it. Sam Harris would even be embarrassed at this. His wailing at the end is ear piercing. Not my cup of tea at all. The crowd loves it, though. Judges summary: Kara - a little too strange for her (but she liked the drama); Paula - she said Adam is being true to himself, and thinks it was a great song choice (she even compares it to Led Zeppelin's Kashmir!!); Simon - finally some sanity - he asks, "What the hell was that!?!" He says there are people throwing out their TVs, and it's "indulgent rubbish". Yeah Simon!! Randy - further covering the judges asses, compares it to Nine Inch Nails! And calls it current. I want some of what he's smoking!

More commercials...blah blah blah.

Next up - Scott McIntyre. Scott always sounds like he's singing through his nose. He sings a Martina McBride song, and I think he's better than he was last week. But that might be because he followed Adam! I guess my problem with Scott is everything sounds the same to me. Halfway through the song, Scott picks up the tempo and also attempts a falsetto that isn't great. But overall, much better than last week. I'll give him that. Paula tells him that he needs to give up the piano at some point, and Scott says he can move the piano closer to her if she'd like. Simon calls her stupid for saying that - he has no problem with Scott sitting behind the piano. They go on and on...he agrees with me - it is starting to sound very samey. Randy is looking for those "hot, crazy" vocals, but wait - he's NEVER had those, so what is Randy talking about?? Kara wants him to up his game. Scott will be safe this week - his fans will save him.

You know, if they would just cut these darn commercials, AI could be 1 hour! Anyway, back from the break we see our next singer is that cutie, Alexis Grace. She's going to sing "Jolene" by Dolly Parton. Randy Travis said she's perfect. I think he thinks she's cute like I do. But I do have a question: Why do some singers feel the need to slowly walk down the steps? The dramatic entrance? Anyway, I remember this song from a previous season for the fact that the name "Jolene" is mentioned about 58 times. Not that I was counting. I don't particularly like the song, but I still like Alexis. She's got a good voice, but I was kinda bored with it. Randy doesn't like her performance, nor does Kara. I agree with Kara - she should have picked "Before He Cheats". I would have liked to hear that! Paula gives her props for her artistic approach - and liked seeing her soft side. Simon said it was "ok". He calls it forgettable. I think Alexis is better than this song, and I may have to vote for her, especially when she utters the words, "Maybe I would have put a little more dirty in there..." And as if she's reading my mind, she then PROMISES, "If I'm back here next week, they'll be some dirty..." I think I love this girl. :^)

Hey, let's go to a commercial...

Ok, were back with my favorite, my home boy, Danny Gokey, who takes on Carrie Underwood's "Jesus Take the Wheel", and when he starts, I'm worried. Very worried. He sounds like he's talking the opening verse instead of singing it. But I know what's coming...I'm just waiting for it...and then he hits the chorus. And instantly - it's like another singer drops in. Danny redeems the first part of the song, and goes a little nuts with the runs (he still looks kinda dorky with his moves, but who cares...). He really finishes up well. I'm still impressed. Danny's still got it, and he still looks like Robert Downey Jr. Kara agrees with me - she didn't care for the front part, but he blew it up from the chorus on. She gushes over him from the second half on. Paula disagrees - she likes the boring intro. Paula's chest is just freakin' me out. Make it stop. Please. Paula also says that Carrie Underwood would buy that record (Really? Wouldn’t she rather just listen to her own version?) Simon doesn't like what Danny is wearing, but liked the vocals. Dawg agrees with Kara - he wants more of the second part of the song, and less of the wimpy verses.

OMG - ANOTHER FREAKIN' COMMERCIAL!

Back with Anoop Desai....who decides to cover "Always on My Mind" by Willie Nelson (although maybe he was going for the Elvis version? The Pet Shop Boys?). So Randy Travis says this will be the best anyone has heard of Anoop. It's got to be better than last week, right? Well, to start, I could swear I see lighters in the audience. I actually liked Anoop’s understated performance of this song. It didn't blow me away, but he's got a very, very nice voice. I think the judges will hate it...Paula proves me wrong, though. WAY wrong. She really liked it. He "touched her heart" (just watch those breasts, Anoop!). Simon said he went from "Zero to Hero" (I always think of Vanilla Ice when I hear that, but I digress...). Simon practically gushes over Noop Dawg, as does Randy. They all loved it - included Kara. Good job Anoop. When asked if he is surprised by their feedback, he says "No, I expect myself to do the best!" Good answer!!

After a commercial, Megan Joy comes in and meets Randy. She has changed her last name to "Joy" from "Corkrey" (she got divorced, right?) She is taking on "Walking after Midnight". That's such a well known song so this is risky. Right away, you can tell the unique voice of Megan is going to take this in a different direction. After the song is over, I don't know if I liked it or not. She definitely is different, and gets points for that. That darn shimmy she does is so annoying, but I tried not to pay attention to that. Randy liked it, as did Kara. She gives her props for coming out to sing while she has the Flu. Paula tells us Megan was in the hospital and tells her to keep being sick. Great advice Paula...Simon said she should have the flu every week too. Simon doesn't like what she's wearing (which I think at one point appears to be see through...but I can't be sure, and I'm not staring at the screen to try to figure that out...well, I kinda did, but nonetheless, it was inconclusive) Megan looks good, but I still think Alexis is cuter. Not that it matters...

Before they go to a commercial, we see Matt Giraud waving like a little girl. What's up with that? Please don't do that. Anyway, Matt is going to sing a Carrie Underwood song I don't know called "So Small". Randy Travis said it's a way different version than Carrie's and he is impressed. Let me tell you this - as much as I liked Danny's second half of his song, I REALLY like Matt's performance. I remember him during his auditions, and was very impressed. This is the Matt that I remember. I really think he ended the show on a high note, and proved you don't have to have a showy performance (are you listening Adam?!?!) to be effective. I think his performance last week was really good too (Human Nature), and give him props this week. The judges practically give him this week's crown - although Paula can't pronounce "Authenticity". I'm just happy I don't have to see her chest anymore. Oh, and Paula also thanks Carrie Underwood for letting them use that song. Right....whatever Paula. Simon compares him to Michael Bublé, as does Randy (he says he's between JT and Bublé).

So overall, not a week I particularly cared for, but I knew that going in because it's country week. I'm hoping for an 80's week next week, perhaps? Or gangsta rap? Either way, I look forward to tomorrow's show to see who gets booted. Tune in next week for another review of American Idol!

No comments:

Post a Comment