Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Season 10 - Top 11 Part Deux

OK, so let's try this again...

Because of the shocking final few moments from last week's elimination show (where the judges elected to use their only save of the season on Casey Abrams), we now have the task of getting rid of TWO "Idols" this week.

So let's not beat around the bush - it's Elton John week, and here we go.

The first thing I notice on tonight's show is during the intro fluff piece, we see the "Idols" getting photographed in LA. Photographer Art Streiber appears to be using a Hasselblad Medium Format Digital SLR. Those things run upwards of $40k. Holy. Moly. And here I am drooling over the $1,200 Nikon D7000. Anyway, I digress...

First up: Scotty E. Neuman. Er. Scotty McCreery. He sings "Country Comfort", which I suppose is an obvious choice. He dedicates the song to his grandmother, who is in the audience. To me, this sounds like every other Scotty performance. You either dig him, or you don't. I think he's good. Not my personal cup of tea, BUT he certainly was smart to pick the song he did. I was personally hoping for "Kiss the Bride" or "Wrap Her Up" or "Nikita". I mean, can you imagine? I'm going to predict Steven Tyler says NOTHING negative or constructive all night. Just sayin'....

Next up - Naima Adedapo, doing a reagae version of "I'm Still Standing". And you know what? It doesn't turn out to be the train wreck that it SOUNDS like it could have been. The judges didn't like it, but I think the song kind of lends itself to being converted into this style. Most will hate this - I thought it actually was kinda good. But I'm probably the only one. And she may be in danger this week for taking such a rich.

I challenge Steven Tyler to say something critical. Please.

And for those of you viewing this program in Maryland, did you see the horrible "Kegasus" ads for Preakness? Are they kidding???

And Taio Cruz is asking for help writing lyrics? What is this world coming to?

Oh, goodie, my least favorite is up next - Paul McDonald. So he'll give a shout out to the audience before he goes on, because, well, that's what Paul does. Because he's a cliche. He's going to sing "Rocket Man". I am so sick of Jimmy Iovine. Please, no more. There's the shout out. And the Jeff Tweedy jacket. "Y'all ready"? Yes, Paul. We're ready for you to start singing. This sounds like something you'd hear at a local Kareoke bar, where someone is trying to fake like they are a serious artist, but really, they just stink. So I'm done with Mr. Irrelevant. Of course, he'll stay, and millions will cheer for him, and say how wonderful he is. I think he's awful. Randy, I don't believe. Steven loves him. Shocker. I can't believe they are asking him to push it even harder. Ugh.

Pia Toscano up next. Wow, those LEGS. Um...anyway, let me see...what's she singing? Um...oh, "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me". Of course. I'm not surprised, because she loves her freakin' ballads. And it should be effortless for her to knock this out of the park. Did she do a good job? Sure. She can absolutely sing this type of song, and kill it. Was it as amazing as the judges said? I don't know - I'm still just diggin' how good looking Pia looks tonight. My prediction? Another ballad next week. And really, at this point? Who cares? She could go in the studio tomorrow and make an album better than Celine Dion. Yeah, I said it - better. Full disclosure, though - I can't stand Celine Dion. :^) Pia can sing, and she deserves to stick around for many, many weeks. End of story.

Stefano Langone is singing "Tiny Dancer". When I hear this song, I think of Ben Folds. And Almost Famous. Stefano's version is just...ok. I applaud him for not going overboard, but I was kind of bored by this. He's got a good voice, and is usually king of the runs. But this performance was forgettable, I think. But what do I know?

Lauren Alaina is tackling "Candle in the Wind". She puts a little country flava in it. I like this a lot. But that's not really a surprise, is it? She didn't go overboard with it. She just sang it well. And that's all you can ask for. She still doesn't own the stage, but I seem great potential in Lauren. Of course, I picked her early on, so I'm stickin' with it.

James Durbin OWNS that stage. Complete with flaming pianos, air splits ala David Lee Roth, and just an overall crazed performance. Of course, the song lends itself to that. He sang the song well - he did nothing this week to make me like him less. The guy is good. Period. To me, WAY better than Adam Lambert.

Thia Megia. Sings Daniel. Zzzzzzz..... She's going home this week. Didn't keep my interest. Again, nice voice, but does nothing for me. She looked like she was getting teared up at the end. Maybe she realizes it's the end of the road? I was hoping she'd sing something like "The Bitch Is Back" or "Don't Go Breakin' My Heart" or "Honky Cat" (I mean, let's do something different, Thia!)

Maybe it's the hair cut and beard trim. Maybe it's because of his reaction last week. Or maybe it's because he sang it well. But Casey Abrams' interpretation of "Your Song" was my favorite performance of the night. I really enjoyed it - he didn't go overboard, he didn't try to come off as being anything other than who he is. Good choice of song, and he sang it very well.

Jacob Lusk sings "Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word". I will agree with Jimmy I - I hope he doesn't go overboard. The faces this guy makes...make me laugh. I thought it was good, and he didn't go crazy like I thought he would. Nice work, Mr. Lusk. Solid performance. And how dare Jennifer, bringing up Robbie Rosen! Ugh...couldn't stand that kid.

Last to go tonight is my friend Karen's favorite, Haley Scarnato...er, wait. Haley Reinhart. She sings "Benny and the Jets". I was kidding about Karen liking Haley. And she's going to hate this. I actually LIKE this. Sure, her bopping around the stage is kinda goofy. And her hissing like the Bronx Zoo Cobra makes me laugh. But I really liked it. And I don't care what anyone thinks. Even Karen.

Bottom three will be Stefano, Thia and Naima. Stefano goes home. I think.

Whew...I have to get to bed. I also need to write these more concisely.

1 comment: