Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Season 10 - Top 11

Motown Night. Yes, it's a time honored tradition of Idol to cover the songs made famous by the Berry Gordy Hit Machine. I love Motown, so that means I should love this week's Idol, right? We shall see....

First up: Grizzly Adams/Seth Rogan dead ringer Casey Abrams. He sings "I Heard It Through the Grapevine", made famous by Marvin Gaye and The California Raisins. Although Casey looks like a dork tonight, sweats profusely, and verges on going off on a Taylor Hicks Cheesefest, I actually enjoy his performance. It was mostly fun to watch. Especially Casey's cute friend Megan.

Man, Brad Whitford looks old. He's in the audience tonight. Hi Brad. Aerosmith rocks.

Thia Megia is up next, and sings "Heatwave" by Martha and the Vandellas. You know, I'm really getting tired of seeing Jimmy Iovine on this show. Enough! While I applaud Thia for not doing a ballad this week, I still don't buy her completely. It's not bad, but I just don't feel the passion that I should with that song. Better, but not quite there yet. Very nice voice, but not really star material...yet. BTW, Steven continues to have nothing constructive to say. Is this really the best we could do in finding celebrity judges for Idol? I miss Simon.

Jacob Lusk sings "You're All I Need To Get By" by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell. Good choice - it fits him well. Other than some bizarre faces and body motions, and a goofy ending, I really enjoyed this. My favorite Jacob performance so well - like I said, the song fit him perfectly. Great job! Ryan actually made me laugh when he invited everyone up for hugs.

My girl's up next - Lauren Alaina, singing the Supreme's "You Keep Me Hanging On". Now this is the Lauren I've been waiting for. She's confident, looks great, and sounds even better. While this performance isn't going to go down as one of those "AMAZING" performances that I know she's capable of, it was definitely one of her best so far this season. Keep it up Lauren - your confidence will continue to grow, and you'll get better each week. I still am confident in my choice of her as my favorite Idol contestant this season.

Stefano Langone sings that Motown classic "Hello" by Lionel Ritchie. OK, so while it was recorded on the Motown label, it wasn't from the the classic years of Motown. BUT it's from the 80's. And it's Lionel Ritchie. And the music video has that creepy bust that the blind girl makes for Lionel. But I digress. I really dug his version of this song. The dude can sing. Yes, it was definitely different from the original, but I really liked it. He did close his eyes, though.

Wow, Gordon Ramsey...that was rude!

Haley Reinhart sings "You Really Got a Hold On Me" by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles. Her legs totally distract me from hearing what she's singing. It didn't blow me away. It was horrible. It was good, but to me, she doesn't stand out. She doesn't have that wow factor. Again, good, but not great. This just in: Steven Tyler feels her. And you know, that Tyler growl is classic...love it!

Scotty McCreery and Motown? Um...next! We see Scotty play basketball, ping pong, and attempt to sing Stevie Wonder's "For Once In My Life". The country singer sings a country version of this. Do I like it? Meh - not so much, but here is the thing about young Scotty. I say it every week - I can totally see him on the radio. Tomorrow. Does this version work? Absolutely not. Would THIS be on the radio? Nope. But is Scotty destined for a record contract. If I was shaking the magic 8 ball, I'd say yes. I guess this was the best we could expect on Motown Night. I still like this kid.

Pia Toscano is up next. She sings "All In Love Is Fair" by Stevie Wonder - I don't think I've ever heard this song before. And it's a slow ballad - this is not surprising, but man, when she hits those notes, I could care less. Like Scotty, I can see her recording an album tomorrow. Beautiful voice, and probably the most polished singer of the entire group. I really am blown away by her most weeks. She can really, really, REALLY sing. Many props, Pia!! Oh, and she's lookin' really good tonight, too. :^) BTW, I actually agree with Jennifer tonight - let's see some other stuff besides ballads! Reason I like Ryan tonight - he asks Pia to turn around so we can see the backless dress. Hubba hubba hubba!

Paul McDonald is up next. He's going to ruin "The Tracks of My Tears" by Smokey Robinson. Er, perform it. So my verdict? Compared to what he's done so far, it's probably his best performance....maybe....I think. Does that mean I like it? Not really, BUT it's nowhere near as horrible as he's been in previous weeks. So I'll give him that and hope he continues trending upward next week. Then again, that's if he's here. OMG - Steven compared him to Dylan and Willie Nelson!

Naima Adedapo sings "Dancing In The Street" by Martha and the Vandellas. Although you know, David Bowie and Mick Jagger did it too. And Van Halen. Whoa, check out those funky pants.... The song was fine, and she sang it well...but I thought the break out in the African Dance was a bit much. However, I liked this WAY better than her horrible rendition of "What's Love Got To Do With It" last week. So good job Naima, but lose the dancing!

Two people that I remember have sung "Livin' For The City": Taylor Hicks, and Siobhan Magnus. Now, I wish I had a clip of Siobhan singing the ENTIRE song, but alas, there is only this. My point is, I have high expectations as probably my favorite Idol singer sang this song (Siobhan, not Taylor Hicks!). So James Durbin takes on this classic from Stevie Wonder. And I think he did awesome. It was a little strange at the end, but 95% of the song was really, really well done. The guy just has that voice...the rock star voice. Very happy that he's doing well. One of my most unexpected performances tonight - loved it.

I think Stefano, Naima and Haley are in the bottom 3 this week. We'll see if I'm right tomorrow. Could also be Thia, but I think it's one of those 3 going home. One thing is for sure - WAY better than last week. Of course, that was late 80's music vs classic Motown. Easy win for Motown!

No comments:

Post a Comment