Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Season 10 - Top 12

This week on Idol - the dreaded "Songs from the year you were born" show. Ugh. The reason I say "Ugh" is that most of these kids are in their early 20's, so we're going back to the late 80's/early 90's. Listen, I love the 80's, but primarily the EARLY to mid 80's. The late 80's was a blur of bad music, for the most part.

First up is Naima Adedapo. She sings "What's Love Got To Do With It" by Tina Turner. I don't think anyone has ever covered this song very well on Idol. Naima particularly struggles with it - I think I counted exactly one time when I said, "OK, that was good...." Not one of her stronger performances, and now in back to back weeks, I'm questioning why I put her down as the 3rd favorite in my pre-season poll. This week's Steven Tyler comments: "I loved it..."

Paul McDonald - ugh. He's still here? He "takes on" Elton John's "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues" from 1984. After seeing photos of Paul as a kid in a cowboy outfit, and hearing his parents question where Paul gets his talent from (he has talent???), we see another awkward performance from Paul. I like how Paul says that 1984 has some "killer tunes" - I know that no matter what "killer tune" Paul picks, he'll kill it alright. And not in a good way. He actually says "What up, yo?!" at the beginning. Stop Paul. Just stop. I can't tell what is worse - Paul's jerky movements on stage, or his fake affectation in his singing. Elton John should sue. Just horrible. I know I'm harsh on Paul every week, but I honestly can't stand his singing, or the judges constant overlooking the fact that he's not very good. Or that he's awful. This week's Steven Tyler comments: "You define cool dude in a loose mood."

The reason I'm writing this so late tonight is Thia Megia put me to sleep hearing "Colors of the Wind" by Vanessa Williams, which, if I'm not mistaken, is from the Disney movie "Pocahontas". Nice voice, but so boring. I just wish she'd do something more up tempo and interesting. Zzzzzz. This week's Steven Tyler comments: "I think you sang it beautifully".

James Durbin picks Bon Jovi's "I'll Be There For You". Not one of my favorite Bon Jovi songs - but I think he does OK. It's a little flat at times, meaning not much character in his voice. Then again, James doesn't embarrass himself, and considering the song, he's not bad. Well, except for some of the screams he lets out towards the end of the song. Not one of his stronger performances, but I still dig this cat. This week's Steven Tyler comments: "Don't get too poppy on me, but great..." Steven also says that if James makes it to the finale and sings Aerosmith, that he'll sing with James.

Haley Reinhart performs a forgettable version of Whitney Houston's "I'm Your Baby Tonight". I don't know what it is about Haley, but I can't really get into her performances. Never mind the fact that she's wearing bright red lipstick that mostly ends up on her chin. All I have to say is, "Meh". Certainly not horrible, but nothing I'll be thinking about the minute the song ends. This week's Steven Tyler comments: "Your voice is so distinct, we heard things in it we loved, and we want to hear more". What?!?!?

Stefano Langone is up next, and sings Simply Red's cover of "If You Don't Know Me By Now" (which is a shame, because to me, their best song is "Holding Back The Years", but Stefano was born in 1989, not 1985.) I think while he overdoes it at times, he does a solid job, and he hits some really nice notes. Finally a performance I enjoyed tonight. It took a while. This week's Steven Tyler comments: "It was just wonderful, man....over the top."

What a shocker - Pia Toscano is singing "Where Do Broken Hearts Go" by Whitney Houston. Pia may have the best voice in the competition, and she does a solid job. But her problem is she's getting somewhat stale in her song choices. Usually the big ballad. Yes, maybe this isn't what you would call a "ballad", but it's still not up-tempo enough for me. Don't get me wrong - love her voice, and she has a very good shot at going far in this. She's a lock to stay this week. I just am getting a little bored with it. This week's Steven Tyler comments: "You nailed it".

Scotty McCreery is up next, and his parents BOTH sing "Baby lock them doors...." Ugh. And Jimmy Iovine (who I'm getting a little sick of...) makes a crack that he's got jeans that are older than Scotty. How original. He sings a Travis Tritt song from 1993. I'm tellin' you, this kid will get a recording contract. It's not that I think he's so phenomenal, but he IS ready to be on country radio tomorrow. He's got a perfectly recordable voice - and I think he's quietly put together a nice string of solid, professional performances. Even if he does look like the lovechild of Howdy Doody and Alfred E. Neuman. They can't see you on the radio, anyway. This week's Steven Tyler comments: "You keep knowing who you are, and you're going to go places". He has yet to say anything critical this week...or last week...

Karen Rodriguez sings Taylor Dayne's "Love Will Lead You Back". Better than last week, but boring nonetheless. She sings in Spanish for the last verse. And lord, those earrings are HUGE. It's songs like this that make me wonder why I'm watching this show. I mean, it's infinitely better than someone like Paul, and stronger than someone like Haley. But doesn't make me jump and down (me too, Randy). This week's Steven Tyler comments: "I love it when you break into your ethnic what-it-is-ness."

Casey Abrams has, with this performance, worn out his welcome with me. He takes on Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit". I would have preferred him do "Lithium". Well, maybe not. Unlike Paul, I like Casey's quirkiness. But he murdered this Nirvana classic. And to be fair, very few could pull it off. I appreciate his boldness in taking it on - he could have played it safe, but didn't. And I can commend him for that (are you listening Pia and Karen and Thia??). But ultimately it doesn't work. BTW, there is a Carly Smithson sighting in the audience before he sings. Hi Carly! This week's Steven Tyler comments: "You are so good, man. You are so crazy and talented. That's the goop that great stuff is made from."

My girl Lauren Alaina is up next, singing "I'm The Only One" by Melissa Etheridge. Lauren has the flu, but the show must go on. She still doesn't seem that comfortable on stage. She doesn't command the stage. And she sings a little flat at times, but she still has a good voice and deserves to be here. I'm infinitely more interested in what she's going to sing week to week - much more than Karen or Thia. So I hope she stays - I think she will get better and better. This week's Steven Tyler comments: "You're a shining star".

Jacob Lusk rounds out the show with a cover of Heart's "Alone". I would have preferred him taking on "Barracuda"! But that would have been against the rules, I suppose. Not surprising, Jacob goes way over the top. He's predictable, and like Casey, he's kind of wearing out his welcome with me. The judges will eat it up, though. He'll be safe again this week. This week's Steven Tyler comments: "Gospel had a baby, and they named it Jacob Lusk".

So I think the bottom 3 this week: Haley, Karen and Thia. Or maybe Naima (heck, she might be going home...) No idea who stays and who goes. It could be any of them. I just wish Paul would go home already. Blech. Here is hoping that next week the show picks up, and that Steven Tyler learns out how to offer constructive criticism. Or ANY criticism. I mean, he actually said "The best show since the Beatles show..." REALLY???? Oh boy...Steve has morphed into Paula! Make it end soon...please. Or get better...quickly!!

No comments:

Post a Comment