Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Season 10 - Top 13

Why do I do this to myself? Nearly every week, I will watch Idol, and then hours later, I get around to writing my comments in this blog? Not smart...I really don't enjoy going to bed at 2 am. So here is an abbreviated review. I will say it was rather impressive in the list of A list producers who produced the songs and worked with the Idol hopefuls tonight. Good stuff.

So first up is my favorite this year - Lauren Alaina. I really heart this girl, not only for her voice and her personality, but for the fact that she's following in Siobhan's footsteps and singing "Any Man of Mine" by Shania Twain. I liked this performance, but didn't LOVE it. She seemed breathless at times, and it didn't have the life I expected it. However, she's still great, so I voted for her. And listen - don't ever apologize to Steven Tyler. Please...you're better than that, Lauren!

Casey Abrams sings Joe Cocker's version of "With A Little Help From My Friends". It's a good, but somewhat predictable choice. Is Casey a one trick pony? Maybe, but again, I find him entertaining. That may wear off as the season goes on, but for now, I think he's pretty good. I liked his take on the song - he didn't go as crazy as I thought he would. And he really could be played by Seth Rogan in the Hollywood adaption. I think Casey has more style than substance, but that's ok. He makes it interesting, and that works for me.

Ashthon Jones sings a Diana Ross song that I've heard before, but I don't think is one of her more popular tunes. I didn't really care for it. I still don't think they should have put her through to the top 13, but now that she's here, this is the kind of performance I think we'll get every week. Certainly not bad, but nothing that I'll remember as a showstopper. So I say, "Meh", and move on.

Paul McDonald sings Ryan Adams. He makes sure you know it's Ryan Adams and not Bryan Adams. Thanks, Paul. You are so indie. This will go down as one of the worst performances I can remember on Idol. It's painful to listen to him. It's painful to watch him. And it has nothing to do with his song choice - because I like Ryan Adams. I just think Paul isn't my cup of tea. Or Coke Zero. Or anything. His act is getting very old Please, American, send this cornball home. Let him sing in a cafe where hipsters will heap praise on him while sipping on a Cafe Latte. Ugh. Stop the madness! The judges are on crack, by the way, for stroking this dude's ego. BLECH!!!!

For the second week in a row, Pia Toscano blows it up. I mean, she kicked major booty tonight. She's right up there with Lauren and she out sang Lauren tonight. And I really like the slicked back hair and glasses look. Hubba hubba - she really was amazing tonight, just "slaying" (thanks Randy) "All By Myself", which is a Eric Carmen song. Please do not mention Celine Dion. Ever. I can't stand that snooty, self absorbed performer. Did I mention Pia absolutely killed it tonight? She sounds great, looks great, and now I just want to see what she can do besides power ballads. Jennifer was speechless at one point. So was I. Great job Pia!!

James Durbin follows up Pia's great performance with a great performance of his own. He sings Paul McCartney's "Maybe I'm Amazed". Yes, he is similar to Adam Lambert, but he's much better in my opinion. I think this guy will be around for a long time on this show. I thought he rocked it. Nice tone to his voice (when he's not belting out one of his patented screams...). I really like this guy - great job tonight James!

Haley Reinhart is next, and let me tell you. Steven Tyler has the hots for this young lady. The creepy smile on his face says it all. That's ok Steven - she is pretty, but I don't think she was smart in picking LeAnn Rimes "Blue". I think that's one of those songs that you really shouldn't touch. It's not bad, but there was something that wasn't right to it. I don't know why - maybe I didn't pick her as someone who would sing THAT song. She's nowhere near as bad as that dip Paul, but it was a little too strange for me. I agree with Randy - it was kind of boring. I THINK she'll nail a song at some point this season, but I also don't know if she'll last that long. We'll see.

Jacob Lusk's idol is R. Kelley? I thought Jacob was a gospel singer? Does he know about R. Kelley's past and his legal troubles? He sings "I Believe I Can Fly" from the cinematic classic, "Space Jam". Um. OK. Yeah, I know the song is more popular than the movie that it came from. Jacob has a choir come out with him. Let me say this - while I can appreciate Jacob's pipes, it's a bit much for me. I think he's going to be pigeonholed into the same types of songs week after week. Great for Sundays, but on the pop charts? I don't see it.

Thia Megia sings the old standard "Smile". Beautiful voice - no way she sounds like she's 16 years old. Having said that, it's slightly boring. She changes it up after the intro, and I don't know if it's entirely sucessful, but it's hard to argue she's got a great voice. Still, overall, somewhat of a snooze fest though. Maybe it's the song. That's probably it. Because she does have a really beautiful voice.

Stefano Lagone sings Stevie Wonder's classic "Lately". At first, I am worried this will be horrible. And then he changes the song into a dance track! And it actually works! Not because of the tempo of the music, but his voice gets better as the song goes on. It builds up pretty well after the beginning. Not bad, Stefano, not bad at all. Judges made a good choice in bringing you back.

Karen Rodriguez sings Selena's "I Could Fall In Love". I didn't think it was very good - just like last week, the singing was OK for the most part, but there was some pitch problems. And I was really bored with it. I warned last week that Karen shouldn't get stuck in this rut of singing these ballads. Because if you sing these types of songs, you better slay them. Pia did that. Karen did not. She seems like a super nice person, so I almost don't want to say anything bad about her. :^(

Scotty McCreery looks like Alfred E. Newman. And he is very limited in what he can sing. It's country. And more country. But you know what? Who cares? That is what he is. And I would have never thought I would have said this when I first saw him (I think I was screaming at the TV when he chose to sing the same song during Hollywood that he sang in his first audition). But I like this cat - he sounds like he COULD be on the radio now. Maybe true country aficionados would disagree - I don't claim to be a huge country fan. But to me, it sounded good.

Last to go tonight is Naima Adedapo, who sings Rihanna's "Umbrella". While I share in Naima's love of Rihanna, I don't love her performance. She breaks into some crazy dance moves and does some kind of Reggae hip hop dance thing in the middle. Bizarre. The judges set a record for using the word "Flavor" in their critique of Naima. It wasn't horrible, but I've heard her sound much better in the past. I still like her, though. She's a unique individual - and unlike Paul, that's a good thing. Minor quibble: Naima's use of the word "Overstand" instead of "Understand". But really - that's irrelevant. It is silly that she doesn't get #13 for her phone number at the end (instead, they pick 36...um, ok....). And Ryan almost takes her ear off with his suit jacket...don't ask.

So my three faves tonight were Pia (amazing), James and Lauren. I predict Ashthon or Karen (or Stefano or Thia!) goes home this week. Wish it was Paul, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment