Tuesday, March 30, 2010

American Idol - Season 9 - Top 10 - Week 3

Tonight on Idol - R&B/Soul music...starring Usher. Usher tells us he's going to be brutally honest, but somehow, I don't believe him. If we were brutally honest, some of these singers shouldn't even be here!

So first up is my favorite - Siobhan Magnus. She's got a crazy outfit on, but as usual, I love it. I'm giddy with excitement. Usher tells her to maybe consider toning her look down a little - she says "Thanks, but no thanks..." She comes out with "Missy Elliot" boots, singing "Through The Fire" by Chaka Khan. I'm about to pull a Randy, but Siobhan, you know I love ya, right? You know you're my dog, right?? Well, she's off tonight. This isn't a good song choice (I think), and she struggles during parts of the song. She's very nasal throughout. It's not a total disaster, like, oh, I don't know, Lacey was in previous weeks. Or Paige last week. But it's not very good. And I'm willing to give her a pass. The judges are pretty vicious with her - more so than they normally are, and you can see on face that she's torn up about it. Randy said it wasn't her best performance. Ellen said Siobhan went off a bit, and never really recovered. Kara said her lower register wasn't there, but did say she's allowed one off night. Simon was just a jerk. I mean, OK, we know you didn't like it. But he went over the line. Give the girl a break - she's been consistent this season, and when he says, "If this was the first time we saw you..." It's not Mr. Cowell. And learn to pronounce her name...it's "Sha-VON", not "SIOB-HAN". Simon said she committed manslaughter to the song. Really? Look, I didn't like it, but she needs to keep her chin up. I voted about 100 times for ya Siobhan, and I don't think you're going home this week. And now I have spent more time on Siobhan this one week than I have on several other contestants this entire season. Whew...anyway, hang in there kiddo...I think the judges would save you if you were in danger, but just don't see that happening. And if you do go home, I'm done writing this blog! So there...

ANYWAY, up next - Casey James. But before we see Casey meet Usher, we see Siobhan walking dejectedly backstage, with the other singers. She's really upset about this. Big Mike comforts her. And then we go to Casey meeting Usher. Usher says the choice of the Sam and Dave song "Hold On (I'm Coming)" is perfect. Even though Casey forgets the words during rehearsal, he's confident that he can do this right tonight. Usher says to keep your eye on Casey, and I'm sure Kara is taking that advice to heart. Casey sounds good, but there is something awkward about his performance. It's good, but I feel like he doesn't totally let go. And he's smiling during the song, and it just strikes me as odd. He even steps away towards the end to rip off some work on the guitar, but even that isn't as good as I think it's going to be. Not a bad performance at all, but like a lot of Casey's performances, it didn't blow me away. He's definitely got a good voice, and I think with his looks, he won't have any problem staying around for several more weeks. Good - not Great - job tonight Casey. Randy LOVED it. Said it was HOT, dawg. Ellen sort of agrees with me - she said something was missing (i.e. a little generic). Kara things he's limiting himself - she wants more. Simon said it was the best he's ever heard Casey.

Mike Lynche is singing "Ready for Love" by India.Arie. Usher tells him to project more, and hit everyone in the room (even those in the back). Mike says that's a big part of his game, and is looking forward to playing the guitar tonight. The bizarre thing is Big Mike is sitting BEHIND the judges. Strange...they're not even looking at him! For most of this song, I'm bored by his performance. He's got a good voice, but maybe I'm just not that big of a fan of the song itself. He has some good moments, but it's nothing really that memorable. And that horrible habit of the audience waving their hands in unison has to go. When the song was over, I'm like, "Eh..." I could take or leave that. I just think it was very strange for him not to face the judges. Randy said Mike's in the zone, but it wasn't very exciting. Ellen said she didn't like the fact that he was behind her back, but she said it was beautiful. Kara said he did an incredible job, and that he got to the true emotion of the song. Simon said he can finally take him seriously as an artist. Said he did a terrific job. Usher loved it too.

Didi Benami sings "What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted" - she cries during her performance with Usher. Maybe she's psychic and anticipating what the judges will say? I kid, I kid...I really want to like Didi more, but the affectation in her voice is starting to grate. She's very pitchy at times. And it's very boring...worse than Big Mike's performance prior to this. She really doesn't have much emotion in this - at least, it doesn't come through to my ears. She has that pained look on her face for much of the song. I wasn't wild about it, and I'm predicting the judges agree with me. Randy said the song "flatlined" and it wasn't great. Ellen tries to say some nice things, but said it was "way dramatic" and wasn't her best performance. Kara said it was overdone, and that Didi has changed, and not for the better. Simon compared it to "swimming in jelly"...huh? He called it old fashioned. So far, she's my pick to go home. But then again, the show's not over yet. No matter what happens, Didi, you are going on tour. And that's sayin' something.

Tim "Shaggy Hair" Urban is up next - this is the guy that the judges hand picked to come back when one of the contestants was kicked out due to a contract dispute. Keep that in mind later on during the judges comments. Tim sings "Sweet Love" by Anita Baker. Usher asks Tim to sing the song to HIM. Um...a little awkward. He wants Tim to express himself more. Tim is his usual self - he's consistent, but that's not a compliment. He sounds, to me, the same every week, no matter what he's singing. I'm not a big fan of Tim, but I feel kinda bad because he takes SO much abuse. It's WAY too big of a song for him, but it's also clear he's not an R&B singer. Or much of a singer in general. I always get the impression of him singing in a school play - that's his comfort zone. He's not really a star, and while a certain friend of mine has a crush on the guy, that's exactly why he'll stay this week. The girls love this guy. He's not going anywhere just yet. Randy said when it started out, it was too pedestrian. But on a positive, it was in tune. Wow, that's all ya got, Randy? He said he got NOTHING out of it tonight. Ellen makes fun of the fact that she's constantly calling him adorable. She said it wasn't good, though. Tough song to sing. She said he was walking like he was sneaking into a bedroom. Hilarious! Kara complains it's soul-less, noncommercial and not current. She complains that he's laughing. Simon said Tim's laughing because it doesn't make a difference what they say. But here's the thing Simon - YOU PICKED HIM TO COME BACK WHEN HE WAS ALREADY BOOTED!! How can you really even criticize him? They picked him over some of the other male singers who should have been there instead. The judges really need to look in the mirror.

Next up - Andrew Garcia, singing "Straight Up" by Paula Abdul. Oh wait, that was weeks...no, MONTHS ago... Tonight he's singing "Forever" by Chris Brown, who when he's not abusing his girlfriend, is apparently on EVERY single produced everywhere. Although I've never heard this song. So I have no idea if Andrew does it justice or not. Andrew is up there with just his guitar - it's a low key performance. Per Andrew's standards, it's pretty good. But I still don't know if I'm wild about it - maybe it's just the song. He finished the song strongly, and overall I liked it. Didn't LOVE it, but it was much better than what's he done so far this season. I'm still dying to know what that tat is on AG's neck.... Randy thought Andrew's performance was "dope", and was his best in a LONG time. Ellen almost mentioned the "other song"....she said he was great, and enjoyed it. Kara said it was one GIANT leap in the right direction. Simon agreed - miles better than he's been. Simon did say he comes across boring as a person. He wants more personality. Andrew's mom disagrees, and tells Simon he's wrong.

Usher meets with Katie Stevens next. Katie recalls a story when she was at Epcot, and they met (well, she recognized him and said, "You're Usher, right?") Great story Katie. She's taking on "Chain of Fools" by the one and only Aretha Franklin. This song is required to be sung every season on Idol. Will Katie do well? Well, first of all, I like the look. She also got some sass when singing. She's got the shaking the head move down cold - but more importantly, she SOUNDS really good tonight. MUCH better than she's been in past weeks. I liked this performance a lot. Was it the best version I've ever heard? No, but for Katie, it was really good, and I think she did a good job. Randy actually compare her to Christina Aguilara - really? Um, no, but thanks for playing Randy. He said she was somewhat disconnected, though. Ellen said she sang it well, but it was a little too "old". Kara said it was one of her best performances, but she does want her younger. Simon takes Randy to task for even putting Katie and Xtina in the same sentence! He said the performance was quite cold and robotic. He didn't think it was a great song choice. He still wants her to be a country singer, apparently, even on R&B night. Whatever Simon....

Lee Dewyze isn't feeling well, but the show much go on. He is singing "Treat Her Like A Lady" by The Cornelius Brothers. Usher says Lee has an amazing voice and that he just has to have more confidence in himself (hmmmm....sound familiar??) What Lee does that Casey doesn't do is sing with genuine emotion. I think Lee is so far the best of the night. His voice is awesome during this song - he shows why many consider him to be one of the top picks to win it all. I can hear that voice on the radio. He's kinda like "Daughtry-light", but I don't mean that as an insult to Lee. I think he was terrific tonight, and easily deserves to stay around another week! Randy said it was unbelievable - best he's heard in weeks. Ellen said it was unbelievable. Kara said it was amazing. Simon said Lee had a "moment" - one that will change Lee's life forever going forward. Lee then proceeds to eat the guitar pick. What was that all about? Don't worry - he spit it out...

Crystal Bowersox is up next, performing "Midnight Train To Georgia" by Gladys Knight and the Pips. Crystal's secret is playing the piano this week - and Usher figures that out. He said the song fits Crystal perfectly. He said she has a "real shot, kid..." When the song starts, I'm not sure about the decision to play the piano. She's got cheesy backup singers right near the piano, and it's a bit much. But I'm a fool to even question Crystal - she AGAIN slays it. She eventually gets up from the piano, and that's when the song really picks up. She still looks a little uncomfortable without her guitar, but her vocals are spot on. She is clearly the front runner in my mind (hey, I still love ya Siobhan, but I gotta give Crystal her props). Great, great job tonight! She never disappoints. Even Sue Sylvester loves it. Randy, Ellen, Kara and Simon all gush - although Simon did have a problem with the backing vocals, and that she didn't look comfortable on the piano. He said that she shouldn't let the process change her - what are you talking about Simon? It's R&B night!! She is not an R&B singer, and I think she did an amazing job. Simon sometimes sounds like he's on crack with these types of comments.

Aaron Kelly is the last performer tonight and he sings "Ain't No Sunshine" by Bill Withers (I think it's Bill Withers...right?) The thing I hate about this song is the sheer number of times he says "I Know, I Know, I Know, I Know, I Know..." WE KNOW YOU KNOW!! I really don't care for this song. Aaron's performance is pitchy and doesn't really have a solid quality to it. He sounds unsure of himself often throughout the song. His voice just isn't smooth enough to carry the song. Randy said it was just "alright" with him. Ellen said it was a good job. Kara liked it - didn't love it. Simon said it wasn't as good as last week, but he says for a second time in so many weeks that there is no chance Aaron is going home. Does Simon know something we don't? Is he cookin' the books for Aaron?

So to sum up: Siobhan is still my girl, Lee and Crystal were clearly the best tonight in my opinion, and I think Didi is going home. It wouldn't shock me to see Siobhan in the bottom 3, but I'm confident she's staying. She BETTER be staying....

Good night for now - that was one of my longer posts, eh? :^)

1 comment:

  1. I love that you were still writing this post about 6 hours ago, making about 2am, right? You'll still be at work on time.

    Again - I thought they were all mostly horrible.

    ReplyDelete