Tuesday, March 23, 2010

American Idol - Season 9 - Top 11 - Week 2





It seems like AGES since I've written my last post, but maybe that's because I was "short" last week. Which means I didn't write "War and Peace"; instead, I wrote something more akin to one of the "Mr. Men" books. That is - very brief, but to the point.

As I'm writing this, I'm listening to Gerard Butler singing the Doors on The Tonight Show - you know, his version of "LA Woman" was better than some of the performances tonight. And that's just sad.

Tonight's theme is "Billboard #1's" - there was a rumor it was going to be "Teen Week" (whatever THAT means), and the fact that Miley Cyrus is the guest mentor may lend some credence to that rumor. There are two types of mentors for our Idols (wow, that sounds pathetic). One is the type who gushes about all the contestants and says how wonderful they are. The other is the type who offers criticisms when noted, and tells it like it is. But let's face it - unless they find Simon's twin, they normally won't have the latter type of mentor. So Miley smiles, offers her advice, and tells everyone that she believes in them. That's cool - I mean, some of these "Idols" need all the help they can get. Even if it's just pumpin' sunshine where the sun don't shine.

The first thing I notice when the "Idols" come out (OK, I'll stop saying that...) is that Siobhan's hair is wild. She looks like she's got a Mohawk in the beginning. Then when I see her again, she looks like she could be subbing for Sheena Easton in the "Strut" video circa 1984. Which is about 6 years BEFORE she was born.

Oh yeah...there are other contestants too.

Anyway, let's get right into it, shall we? After all, I have to wrap this up so I can vote soon. And the next episode is just around the corner!

First up - Lee DeWyze, singing "The Letter" by The Box Tops. This is poignant because the singer of the Box Tops, Alex Chilton, passed away last week. He was the subject of the Replacements BRILLIANT song "Alex Chilton" from their awesome album "Pleased to Meet Me", which came out in 1987, which was 3 years before Siobhan was born. And Katie. And Aaron. And all the other idol "youngin's...." Anyway, Lee changes the arrangement to make this great song sound like a lounge song. He's got backup singers, horns, etc. While I didn't hate it because I like the original so much...no, you know what, I DO hate this version! There really isn't anything that is "Lee" about this performance. He's trying to be something he's not, and while I appreciate anyone who mixes it up, let's be careful Lee. Remember Todrick? He mixed it up every week, and was quickly dismissed. Ugh. Didn't like it. The judges (sans Simon) seemed to love it. Simon was right - not a good performance. Thumbs down.

Paige Miles is up next - she sings "Against All Odds" by Phil Collins. This isn't an easy song to sing, and her version is just flat out horrible. Listen, I'm sure Paige is nice, and her family and friends love her. But c'mon dawg...just AWFUL. Makes Lee's performance sound brilliant. She must go this week - I just haven't seen enough from her to warrant keeping her in the competition. I literally had to fast forward, because I just couldn't stand listening to it. Miley actually sabotages her by telling her to sing quietly and super soft. Maybe she told her that because she didn't want to hear her. She also tells Paige to watch the pitch, something Paige doesn't do. Good lord. That was brutal. The judges unanimously agree - THUMBS (and entire hand) way way way down!! Sorry Paige...you're going home this week. Book it.

My friend Karen loves Tim Urban, but even she admits he really can't sing. My favorite Dirk Diggler impressionist takes on Queen's "Crazy Little Thing Called Love". I have to agree with the judges - it's SUPER cheesy. Especially the slide. He didn't really just do that, did he? Somewhere, John Peter Lewis wants his performance back. Again, Tim seems like a nice kid. But it wasn't very good. No power at all in his vocals. And whenever Randy says, "We're trying to find the best singer...", that's bad news. The judges didn't like it. Although I do want to call Kara out on something - Kara, you yelled at Tim for engaging with the audience. "You're not at that place yet"...So because he hasn't sold millions of records, he can't have fun out there? Stupid comment. Thumbs down (is anyone going to show up tonight? Will this go down as Idol's worst season??)

Aaron Kelly comes out and announces he has a crush on Miley. Yeah, Aaron - ask her out! Get as many hugs as you possibly can. And try to get a number. Just sayin'...oh, wait, she's not single. Well, a brother can try, right? Anyway, he sings "I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing" by Aaronsmith. Sorry, Aerosmith. While this song isn't as annoying and grating as "My Heart Will Go On", it's still the same bombast - I got sick of hearing it every 5 minutes in 1996, and I am not a big fan of it. That said, Aaron is clearly the best tonight so far (that's not saying much). Like Paige last week, somehow he belts it out while he has laryngitis. He's not bad - not great, mind you, but I think it's a solid performance (although "Angie" last week was better, but that's also a better song...) The judges liked him, and I agree - I give him Thumbs Up (just not as enthusiastic as I think others will get from me tonight...) Ellen's comment: "What, you're in third grade?" That was funny.

Crystal Bowersox succumbs to all the people who say she is ripping off Janis Joplin - I don't think she's ripping her off, but that IS the type of singer I can see her (and that's not bad company to be in!). She sings "Me and Bobby Magee" (did I spell that right? I'm not googling to check it...) She starts out reserved, but the song slowly builds and gets better and more lively as it goes. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Crystal is a natural, and she certainly well-deserving of the "front runner" status she's been bestowed with. She is in the upper echelon of singers (this season and all time on Idol), and it's another smooth week for her. The judges gush over her (why not?), and I agree - TWO THUMBS UP! GOOOOOO CRYSTAL!! Huge fan here...HUGE.

Michael Lynche chooses NOT to sing "Party in the USA" (or any other Miley song...), and instead sings the absolute classic "When A Man Loves A Woman" by Percy Sledge. I love this song, and I think Mike does a solid job. It is kinda boring, but compared to those first 3 performances, Mike is nearly brilliant! He's got a nice voice, and seems like a very likable guy. I'll give him a Thumb and a half up. The judges reviews were mixed, but they all seem to still like Big Mike.

Andrew Garcia seems like he's in a good mood tonight - Miley tells him to put the guitar down, because she thinks he's hiding back there. He also forgets the words during the Miley session. Uh oh - that's not good. Speaking of not good, his version of the immortal Marvin Gaye's "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" was pretty bad in my opinion. I think the California Raisins did a better job in the 80's. And like the judges, I'm getting tired of Andrew. He may actually go this week instead of Paige (although I'd still put money on Paige). Kara and Simon mention "Straight Up" during their critique. Wait, didn't "Straight Up" go to number 1? If so, she should have sang that! I mean, sing it every week! Just adapt it to the week's theme. A country version of "Straight Up". A Hip Hop version. A Rolling Stones version. I just wish Kara would stop bringing it up. Anyway, big Thumbs Down for Andrew this week. Ugh. By the way, Andrew's good mood is quickly dissipated when Simon gives him his thoughts. Andrew looks like he's going to kill the poor, overpaid Brit!

Katie Stevens takes on Fergie's "Big Girls Don't Cry" - when she first said she was going to do this, I thought it was Frankie Vallie and the Four Seasons! Anyway, I know this song, but Katie's version is not good. I though her tone and pitch were all over the place. Sounds like she's singing through her nose. While Katie has the look (and face it, she's cute), this IS a singing competition, and I didn't care for it very much. But she's far from the worst, an I think she stays around another week. I could see Katie on a soap opera. She's got that kinda look! If singing doesn't work out, there is always Days of Our Lives. By the way, Randy said he likes the fact that she's listening. Huh? That's the best comment? They all seemed to love it - I clearly didn't hear the same in that performance. Thumbs down from Mort.

Casey James singing Huey Lewis' "Power of Love"?? Really? I like that song (Sorry Karen!). I also like Casey - he's one of my favorite male performers on the show. But for some reason it doesn't quite work. First of all Casey said he's going to get into it, i.e. moving around. Instead, the only moving he does is move from one part of the stage at the beginning to the other. That's about it. Again, really like his voice, but the performance was flat. Thumb in the middle - not up or down. Indifferent. Shoulda really made it a bluesy song, and lost those horns. I'm still a big fan, though. Just not as much tonight. Oh, and Kara is practically undressed him with her eyes - she's going NUTS watching him tonight! At one point, she tilts her head and just smiles wide eyed at Casey.

Didi Benami - or, Didi Binimi as Ryan said, takes on "You're No Good" by Linda Ronstadt. It was also done by Van Halen in 1979 on VH II. That's for you, Eludius. Anyway, there is something kinda cool about Didi's voice, but some people will hate it. I do agree with Kara that she (Binimi) took on a persona while singing. Like she was trying out for a Broadway show. And what's with the mean faces? While overall I didn't care for the song, I didn't think it was a bad as the judges thought. And the fact that Simon compares her to Lacey Brown...well, that's just an insult to Didi! I'll give it another thumbs in the middle - not horrible, but not great either.

My favorite goes last tonight - my girl Siobhan Magnus. I love those glasses. And that smile. And that voice. And the fact that she's so different. I honestly watch Idol primarily to see what she'll come up with every week. It's funny - she sings "Superstitious" by Stevie Wonder, but as I said, she looks like Sheena Easton! She does well singing Stevie, because she also sang "Livin' For the City" during Hollywood and blew the roof off. Of course, I'm biased, and you all probably think I can't write anything bad about Siobhan. Well, I will say my favorite performance this year by her was "Think" by Aretha Franklin, but this was close. She rocks it out, and while she does the scream at the end AGAIN, I love it. For me, it's still a toss up between Crystal and Siobhan, but since I'm smitten with Siobhan, I'll say that she's still the top in my book by a slight margin. Just don't get your septum pierced...please?

I would love to see Crystal vs Siobhan - see one of my earlier posts - in the final. Sure, I put Casey up there in the pool I'm in, but I don't care. Siobhan rocks...and she didn't do anything this week to cause me to think otherwise.

My prediction on who goes this week? Paige or Andrew. I'm picking Paige. Although I also think Didi is in the bottom 3, and she could be gone instead. But clearly Paige deserves to go home.

Until next week...have a good one! Keep your feet on the ground, and keep reaching for the stars! :^) Oh, and Demi Lovato is supposed to be performing live tomorrow. So make sure you tune in...

No comments:

Post a Comment