Tuesday, March 9, 2010

American Idol - Season 9 - Week 3 (The Girls)



See those two young women up there? I don't think there is any doubt after this evening that these two, Crystal and Siobhan, are destined for not only the top 12, but possibly the top 4. Of course, it all depends on how America votes, but man...I absolutely LOVE both of them...while I think Crystal is probably the overall better performer, I am so smitten by Siobhan...she's cute, can really sing, and her style is unique. As Simon once said, "You're a silly little thing, aren't you?" (or something like that...)

Anyway, tonight I had the pleasure of watching Idol with some friends of mine, and they had some interesting points that I normally don't point out. For instance, is there some kind of contractual obligation to the word "Frustrated"? Does Simon get bonus points if that comes out of his mouth? And speaking of Simon, just how close can he and Kara get? It always looks like she's leaning into Simon when she gives her thoughts. Please Kara, move away from the cranky Brit....please. Besides, what would Casey say?

Tonight we're down to the final 8 girls...er, ladies. And it's refreshing to NOT have to listen to these horrible packages they put together before the performers go on. So we don't have to see contestants coloring. Or telling us things about themselves that we really don't want to know about anyway.

First up - Katie Stevens, who sings "Breakaway" by Kelly Clarkson. One of my friends walked in while she was performing and asked why Selena Gomez was taking part in this year's Idol? Good old Katie...well, YOUNG Katie. She sounds kind of flat for most of the song, and I'm bored by it. I was waiting for the moment to kick in and it just doesn't happen. That's not to say she's BAD - just didn't really do the song justice (I mean, Kelly Clarkson is Idol royalty, so you better BRING IT!!) Randy thought the song was too big for her - it paled in comparison to the original. He "didn't get it". Ellen (more on her later) didn't feel that Katie "felt" the song. No personality. Good job Ellen - very true. Kara said Katie has a great radio voice, but that she doesn't know who she is as an artist. Simon (who as mentioned earlier, is practically on top of Kara) said that Katie IS listening to them, and appreciates her trying. But the song was gloomy, and he actually says she sucked! Well, sucked the life out of the song...but still, it was jarring hearing him say that! Post song, Katie explains that she was 8 years old when Kelly Clarkson won Idol (in contrast, I was 31...). My prediction? She stays and makes the top 12. It wasn't that bad, and I think she has a good enough fan base to keep her around.

We go to a commercial, and I hear a really cool song from, of all places, a Diet Coke commercial - I look it up and it's called "Sweet Disposition" by The Temper Trap. I'm kicking myself because that album was the Amazon deal of the day the other day! Reminds me of hearing "So Here We Are" by Bloc Party in a Saturn Commercial, or "We've Been Had" by the Walkmen (also for Saturn), years ago. Good tune. Sorry I missed picking that album up on the cheap. Darn it...oh well. Moving on.

Next up is Siobhan Magnus. I can't wait to hear what she's going to sing - I'm giddy inside! Siobhan's dad is in the audience and reminds me of Brian Johnson from AC/DC. Turns out he's a singer, and he used to sing "House Of The Rising Sun" by The Animals (which, by the way, I also picked up on Amazon's Deal of the Day a while back...but I digress...). So Siobhan is going to sing it for her dad who is in the audience with his Brian Johnson-looking hat and hair. The song starts out very slow, and I'm a little concerned...but really, I should learn by now. Siobhan just brings it EVERY week. And by the time the song is over, I'm blown away again by her pipes. I can't stop looking at that nose ring...and I normally don't like nose rings. Um...anyway, she's got a truly beautiful voice, and I will be royally upset...no, pissed, if she's not here next week. Rather than have me turn this Blog from "Mort's Musings" to "Mort's Love of Siobhan", I'll go to the judges. Randy loves what she does - he said she was HOT! Ellen says she knows that house! She says that Siobhan is why she loves music - it moved her. She calls her spectacular (yes she is Ellen!!) Kara said it was a brilliant choice, and calls her unique and different (so true!). Simon isn't so enamored - he said she didn't do anything with the song, and was under impressed by her "boring, dark" song. BOOOOO Simon. You're wrong dude. My prediction? Mort continues to write his blog because Siobhah makes the top 12. She'll be here next week.

Next up - Lacey Brown. I really want to give this girl another chance, but within the first few seconds of Brandi Carlisle's "The Story", I know this is going to be rough. I thought she did a good job during one song in Hollywood, but that's about it. I'm not sure how to describe Lacey other than to talk about that flaming red hair. She just isn't a very good singer in my opinion - a little too out there, similar to two or three of the other girls who are also "out there". I didn't like this song at all, but then again, I haven't liked anything she's sung since that one song in Hollywood. Randy said while it was boring, it was her best in a while. He liked the way her voice broke up. Ellen agreed - best performance from her so far. Kara said it was effortless (and she means that in a good way), and this is the kind of record she should be doing. Simon didn't love it, but said she sang it really well. I must not be hearing the same thing those 4 are listening to. Either that, or they are spiking those Coke cups with something other than Coke. My prediction is she goes this week. The only thing that makes me doubt that is the judges verbal love for Lacey - could I just be flat out wrong?

Katelyn Epperly sings Carole King's "I Feel The Earth Move" while standing in front of a keyboard. The first thing you notice about Katelyn is her humongous hair, which has a purple glow to it based on the lighting. She's also wearing an outfit that looks like it comes out of a 70's sitcom. Paging Mork and Mindy...Kroft Superstars. Oh, yeah, her singing. It's good, but boring. I didn't really feel any emotion there - again, it's not bad (similar to Katie), but it isn't something I'll remember (wow, I feel like Simon...next I'm going to be telling her she'll be appearing at a night club lounge taking requests from 50 year olds...). And I didn't see the point of her playing the keyboard. Randy likes her hair, but didn't feel the vibe. Felt put on and not special at all. One of my friends points out that Ellen's neck doesn't match her face. In other words, she's had some work done. Regardless, Ellen didn't think it was a good song to wow people. Kara said it didn't feel like she was competing this week. Simon likes her hair. He said it was kind of like request night at a restaurant that she is working at, and she sings it OK, but nothing special. Not the song to sing when you're fighting for your life. My prediction? Well, after thinking about it, maybe Katelyn is one of the two to go this week rather than Lacey. Hmmmm......I'd much rather have Katelyn around than Lacey, but I think American might go with the judges. We'll see.

Didi Benami sings "Rhiannon" by Fleetwood Mac. Taking on Stevie Nicks isn't easy, but after listening to this about 3 times, I actually like it. I didn't care for it the first time, but unlike Lacey (sorry, I'm not pickin' on you Lace!), this grows on me. I kinda dig Didi, although I think after a while I may get sick of listening to her. I don't know - but I also didn't think she was bad last week (the judges HATED her last week). Randy said it was much better than last week, even though it didn't have any wow moments. Ellen likes Didi's spunk - the fact that she got back up and came back this evening and did well. Good job. Kara said it was one of her favorite moments of the show this season. She was surprised at how she made this song her own. Simon agreed with Kara - he said it was head and shoulders above anything they've heard tonight (Um...no Simon, it was good, but c'mon...) I think Didi will stick around and make the top 12.

Paige Miles sings "Smile" (made famous by Nat King Cole, I think??). Paige is way off tonight - I am really surprised, because I thought she had a nice voice, but she's pitchy and all over the place. Just when she hits a good note, she hits two bad notes. Definitely not the right song choice, and I really didn't like it at all. Painful at times!! Randy said that song is one of his favorites, but she didn't do it justice. Said he felt like he was at a banquet and wanted to know what everyone was having for dinner. Wha???? Ellen didn't like it - not the right song to wow us. Kara agreed with Randy and Ellen. It was "all wrong". Paige tries to explain what went wrong, but ends up making no sense whatsoever. Simon said it was a horrible choice of a song, and the arrangement was awful. He said this was a "peanut performance" because normally people are at a bar eating peanuts, listening to that type of song. Uh oh - Simon says it could be the end of the road. That spells certain doom - I predict Paige is gone this week. Book it!!

Good LORD this is a long review!!! Oy vey... OK, I'll try to speed it up, but CRYSTAL is up next! And wow, they are selling Shrimp at Taco Bell? I don't know about that....

OK, Crystal Bowersox - my girl (next to Siobhan)...she sings Tracy Chapman's "Gimme One Reason". Wow. Just flat out WOW. Even better than Siobhan's performance tonight. Just a true professional. And yes, I keep looking at the teeth, but really, who cares? She can SING. SIIIIIING!!!!! I really will be shocked if she doesn't make the top 4, and to be honest, at the rate she's going, I can see her winning it all. There are always contestants who just have "it". I feel like Crystal is one of those performers. She's ready to sing NOW and record NOW. Great job Crystal! The judges all love her - Randy loved it all. He's a big fan, and it was "hot". Ellen needs to come up with new adjectives for her. Best of the night. Kara said it's easy for her, and can see what type of record she's going to be making (Kara is obsessed with what kind of records people are going to make). Simon said she was easily the best and she's the one to beat. She has the confidence. Go Crystal!!!

Lily Scott finishes the show with "I Fall To Pieces" by Patsy Cline. Lilly is the space cadet sandwich maker who is so different...so unique. Yes, I am getting tired of hearing her over enunciate everything, and trail off her notes. Listen, I'm just getting tired so I'm going to wrap this up quick. Randy, Ellen, and Kara loved it. Simon thought it was good, but risky...didn't have the "Wow Factor" (another cliche!!). Again, like Lacey, I don't get her, but the judges seem to think she could make it. So we'll see. I predict she says this week.

So my two girls to go are Lacey/Katelyn (one of them) and Paige. Although I could also see Katie going possibly as maybe her fan base isn't as strong as I think. Two who will NOT be going are at the top of this blog posting. Siobhan and Crystal, keep up the great work!

OK, good night all! See you tomorrow for the guy's turn. Then next week - top 12...finally! This season has been rough so far, but there are some diamonds in there...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for hanging out at the Eludius house to watch AI.

    ReplyDelete