Wednesday, March 10, 2010

American Idol - Season 9 - Week 3 (The Guys)






Well, today was an eventful day...we got new siding and shutters put on the house, and I'm very excited about it. They woke us up pretty early, plus I went to bed late last night gushing over Siobhan and Crystal, so I'm TIRED this evening. But I must soldier on, because my public demands it! I must update this blog!

Someone told me today that I should write about something OTHER than AI. Well, technically, I just did! But seriously, I would like to write about other things, but I've said that I would in the past, and haven't done so. So my "musings" are pretty limited if you're an Idol fan like myself. We'll see if once this season is over I can start writing some other things on here. I did have a post ready to go about my musical tastes, and how they have developed over the years. Maybe I'll get that posted soon...

ANYWAY, tonight on AI, it's the guy's turn to try to make the top 12. Before tonight's performances get underway, Ryan asks Kara why she and Simon sit so close to each other. Hmmmm...has Ryan been reading my blog? If so, please Ryan, a word of advice: Stop with the annoying pause after the word "THIS" when you say, "This is American Idol"...or, "THIS....(yawn...)...IS AMERICAN IDOL!!" I've always hated that.

Ryan says Kara is Simon's binky. He doesn't know what that means, because I don't believe he has children. But anyway, let's get on the show.

First up is Lee Dewyze, who is one of my favorite guy performers. He sings Owl City's "Fireflies", which in his version is way less annoying than the original. It's actually a nice version of it. When Lee tones it down, he sometimes has pitch problems. But then when he sings with some power, it sounds great. He has to work on that - being consistent throughout the entire song. But overall, I really liked his performance of a song I don't care much for. Good job Lee. It DID end quite abruptly, which was kind of strange. But I liked it. What did the judges think? Randy said it was an odd choice of song, but he liked what Lee did with it. Ellen liked that he changed it up, although he had some pitch problems. That's what I said! Kara said Lee looks confident, and she likes it! She thinks he made it a better song. Uh oh -now her and Simon are pushing each other because of Ryan's comment. Simon said there was nothing to rave about...OMG - he says "I don't think you had a MOMENT"...I'm so sick of him saying that line. Stop Simon! We don't always need a MOMENT!!! Grrrrrr.....Simon said he didn't really care for it, but he thinks Lee will be here for a while. My prediction: Lee is safe and deserves to be in the top 12.

Next up is Alex Lambert, singing Ray LaMontagne (did I spell that correctly?) My friend Eludius (did I spell that correctly?) is a huge Ray LaMontagne fan, so I'll have to ask him what he thought of this performance. Alex still looks nervous up there, and his performance is awkward. I really didn't care for this. Randy said good song choice, but he wasn't blown away by it. They all boo Randy. Ellen said he is becoming a "mushy banana" - that he's ripening too fast. She liked him but warns against becoming a cocky banana. Kara said the only thing preventing him from winning is his belief in himself. And Simon agrees - he thinks Alex doesn't relax and have a good time. Like, imagining Randy in a bikini. Um...no. I personally think all 4 of these people are covering their asses because THEY picked this guy. And he's just not that good. There is a different quality in his voice, but it's inconsistent and like Lilly and Lacey on the girl's side, not my cup o' tea. My prediction: This may be the end of the road for Alex, and I wouldn't lose any sleep over that.

Tim Urban takes on Jeff Buckley's version of "Hallelujah", which was originally written and recorded by Leonard Cohen. Tim sounds like he's trying to do an impression of Buckley rather than just singing it. It's good, but he does absolutely nothing original with it. Then again, that's one of those songs you just shouldn't mess around too much with. Listen to me - I sound like one of the judges. Buckley's version is iconic - you really should stay away from it. It was good, but nothing that was mind blowing. And THIS is the type of song you NEED to blow people away with. Good, but not great. Randy said it was good. Ellen loved it so much she ran up to him and hugged him - AWKWARD. Kara, leaning into Simon, said she thinks Tim will be around for a while. Simon claims responsibility because he gave him a confidence boost last week. Simon said it was terrific for Tim, and his best performance so far. I may have to go back and re-listen to it. I think maybe because Tim was so bad the first week, that he's being judged a little differently than others. My prediction: Tim sticks around...because of a decent sized fan base of 12 year old girls who think he's cute.

Andrew Garcia sings Christina Aguilara's "Genie in a Bottle" - and I really liked it! He was getting tired of hearing over and over how much they loved "Straight Up" by Paula Abdul, but in the end, decided if you can't beat them, join them. So he covers Xtina. Randy said it didn't work for him, although he liked his look! Ellen said it was a great song choice, but liked it more towards the end than the beginning. Kara said she didn't hear that MOMENT (OMG....please ban that word). She said it wasn't great. Simon is with Kara - shocker... He called it desperate! I disagree - I did like it, and I think his voice is way better than most of the guys on this show. I really hope he makes the top 12 and finally shuts the judges up! We need to ban the words "Moment", "Straight Up", "Frustrated", and after tonight, "Binky". Enough! My prediction: I wouldn't be shocked if he goes home, but I sure hope not. I really think he can be something special, but song choice is critical for him.

Wow, they're showing the Iron Man trailer...very nice! Mickey Rourke's' accent? Not sure if I like that, though. And I definitely don't like Terrence Howard missing, although having Don Cheadle in your movie is never a bad thing! BUCK from Boogie Nights... This trailer looks really awesome! Can't wait to see this one...maybe I'll finally go check out one of these blockbusters in the theater... My prediction? This movie makes a TON of moolah.

When we return from the break, we are treated to the sounds of Kara's boy toy - Casey James. He sings "You'll Think of Me" by Keith Urban. Casey has been one of my favorites from day 1 - much like Crystal Bowersox. I feel this version of the song is more bluesy than the original, mostly in part to Casey's voice. I think he does a great job. The guys overall haven't impressed me as much, but Casey is da man...I was impressed. Randy said it was too safe - listen, can we just get the judges picking the songs? I'm tired of them complaining about the song choices. Ellen said it was GREAT. Thank you Ellen! She dug the vibe. Kara said she's "kinda" back on the Casey train (I bet she WISHES she were....) She still wants to see more of a spark, but he's on the right track. Simon said the song was his second best performance - didn't care for the song choice, but he sounded great. My prediction: Casey is safe and deserves to be in the top 12.

Next up is Aaron Kelly, keeping the country vibe with Lonestar's "I'm Already There". I'm convinced that Aaron has trouble singing the quiet, low, understated parts. He is a much stronger singer when he's belting it out, similar to Lee. But he's no Lee. I just think Aaron may not really be ready for this - he's voice is all over the place in this song. Pitchy - he had more moments I didn't care for than ones I did. The crowd loved it, though. Randy said it was really good, but agreed with me that the lower part don't sound as good. Ellen said it was a tough song for him, and didn't think it was very good. Kara said he gave it his all, but he didn't really get the meaning of the song. Simon said that is RUBBISH. Said it was the right type of song, but his vocal wasn't great. It did have emotion, though. He said it was a nice song. My prediction? Aaron has a big fan base, and will stick around. Even though I don't think he should be in the top 12.

Todrick Hall sings "Somebody To Love" by Queen. IN FALSETTO! At least at the beginning. Then he sings normal. I generally liked his performance. He had some very nice moments, especially at the end. Sounds MUCH better than he normally does. So I was pleased with it. Randy said "Todrick is BACK!!" He loved it. Ellen said he was brave - but he did a good job. Kara said it was really good singing. Although she said at times it was a little too "Glee". LOL - nice Fox promo, Kara! Simon said it was good in parts, but not all the way through. He said Todrick is a Broadway singer....and then he uses his most overused cliche..."HAVING SAID THAT..." Simon should put that on T-Shirt with his face on it. So, having said that, he liked it, and it may have saved him. Note the word "MAY..." My prediction? Although I thought he was MUCH better this week, I think he's going home.

Michael Lynche ends the show covering "This Woman's Work" (which was originally done by Kate Bush and was in the movie "She's Having A Baby"). I LOVE the Kate Bush original so so so much that it hurt me to hear the opening of Big Mike's version. However, to quote Randy, Big Mike "worked it out..." He was great. I wasn't going Coo Coo for Cocoa Puffs like all of the judges, who claimed it was the best performance ever in recorded history. (Well, that last part of the song WAS incredible...Big Mike - I didn't know you had it in you!!). I think the coolest part was Mike singing to his wife that was there. I think the least coolest part was Kara fake crying. I mean, REALLY? And then Simon gives her a hug. Yeah...anyway, I say very nice work Mike, but I'm not crying over you! LOL. My prediction? Safe as kittens.

So there you have it...can't wait until next week. I really hope we get the 12 best singers of who is left. I'm telling you, if Siobhan/Crystal/Lee/Casey/Big Mike don't make it, something is very wrong with America's voting. We'll see in less than 24 hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment