Tuesday, March 16, 2010

American Idol - Season 9 - Top 12 - Week 1

Well, here we are. The top 12. And it just so happens I'm under the weather. Caught a stomach bug and today was HORRIBLE. I'm really hoping the worst of it is behind me, but I still don't feel 100%. So with that, I'm really going to keep this short and sweet. Here we go.

Michael Lynche - Big Mike sings "Miss You". I liked it - I can see him going far in the competition. I was wondering how he was going to pull this off, but he did well. Wasn't blown away by it, but very solid performance from an artist who is becoming very consistent.

Didi Benami -Didi sings "Play With Fire", which is one of my favorite Stones songs. Reminds me of Freshman Year when I got into "Hot Rocks" (aka Stone's Greatest Hits collection). I was very impressed with Didi - much stronger than her previous performances. Her voice, at times, is awesome. Don't know if I was wild about the crazy faces she was making (as in, look, I'm angry here...) But nice performance overall, and I'm starting to think the top 12 is going to make people notice that they actually DO have some good singers on here.

Casey James - I am picking this guy to go very far in the competition, and his performance of the Stones's "It's All All Over Now". This is a great, bluesy performance. Someone I work with said Casey sounds like Bob Seger, and I can see that (although not so much tonight). His overall performance is so far my favorite of the evening. He's got the look, the voice and can play guitar. What is there not to like? And Kara loves him. :^)

Lacey Brown - Look, I'm sure Lacey is a nice person, and her family loves her. But I cringe when I hear her sing. She attempts "Ruby Tuesday" and it's all over the place. I just don't get her, and I wouldn't be surprised if she's the first to go. I would have rather had Lilly Scott as the "unique" singer than Lacey.

Andrew Garcia - Andrew has been dogged in past weeks because he never has been able to match the peak of his version of "Straight Up". Tonight he takes on "Gimme Shelter", which I'm not sure is the best song for him. It definitely gets better as it goes along, and he finishes strong. I still think he's got a nice quality to his voice, but like so many people, it's song choice that makes a huge difference. I hope he sticks around - I think once he gets that perfect song, it's going to be awesome.

Katie Stevens - I'm somewhat indifferent regarding Katie. On one hand, she does have a good voice. On the other, I never get the impression that she's going to be a star. She takes on "Wild Horses", a song that I thought my girl Siobhan would be natural at taking on. She does better than I thought - especially after the beginning of the song. Not bad, but it's not something in particular that's especially memorable. And with that song, you have an opportunity to make your moment, and I don't know if she did.

Tim Urban - Tim sings "Under My Thumb", which I like as an original Stones song. I don't like it as a Reggae/Lounge song, which Tim turns it into. Horrible arrangement, and does nothing to showcase his voice. Blah. Not a fan, and he would be in my bottom 2 so far (along with Lacey). Sorry Dirk.

Siobhan Magnus - You all know how I feel about Siobhan. Along with Crystal, she's my personal favorite on this show. She sings "Paint It Black" (one of my favorite Stones songs...of course), and it starts out SLLLLLOOOOOWWW. Almost like a completely different song. I'm waiting for the drums to kick in, but they never really do. She does pick up the song, though, and it ends up being really good. I've heard better performances from her, but really, I'm nitpicking here. And the signature super high note/scream at the end....love it! Did I mention she looks AWESOME tonight? I'm so glad she's on this show. I really can't say how much I like...no, LOVE Siobhan!! She rocks...totally. Oh, and I love those glasses, too. :^)

Lee Dewyze - Singing "Beast of Burden", Lee cements his status as a major contender. I would not be surprised if he goes on to win the whole thing. He's got that Daughtry type of star voice. You just know he's going to be successful, and I think the experience he gets through this competition will only make him stronger. Definitely a fan of Lee.

Paige Miles - She sings "Honkey Tonk Woman", and generally does a good job. In fact, there are moments which are quite stunning. We learn afterwards she has laryngitis! What?!!? I have been down on Paige in the past, but I enjoyed this performance.

Aaron Kelly - Aaron takes on "Angie", and like the judges said, it's the perfect song choice for him. He brings a slight country edge to the song. And while his hair can be a little distracting (yes, very "Ellen" like...), I thought he did a good job. I'm still amazed that this kid is 16 - he has his highs and lows, and I thought this week was definitely a high. Good job Aaron.

Crystal Bowersox - Along with Siobhan, Crystal is my favorite almost from day 1. She sings "You Can't Always Get What You Want", and again, it just appears effortless. I think she's been better in past weeks, but when you're this good, it really doesn't matter. She is clearly in the top half of the singers and is my pick to win the whole thing. I still like Siobhan a little better, but only because I'm always wondering what she's going to do each week. I almost expect Crystal to pull of a professional performance each week. I'm never disappointed. Great job Crystal!

So for me, the winners of the night are Siobhan and Crystal. Casey, Lee, Didi, Big Mike, and Aaron were not far behind. Andrew, Paige and Katie are probably somewhere in the middle. As for the bottom, it's got to be Lacey and Tim. One of them should go home this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment