Wednesday, March 3, 2010

American Idol - Season 9 - Week 2 (The Girls)

OK - you know the drill, I listen to these people, and give you my thoughts...so here goes!

First up is my favorite...

Crystal Bowersox - Crystal made headlines because she was apparently hospitalized overnight, and they ended up switching the guys and girls this week (guys went first this week). Hope she's feeling better! Anyway, tonight she sings CCR's "As Long As I Can See The Light". She says she's going to put a gospel spin on it...hmmmmm....this could be bad. But it's not - in fact, I think she's amazing tonight. Her voice has such a quality to it - I'm telling you now, this girl will be in the top 3 or 4 this year. She is awesome!! Randy says that she's true to herself, and that he loves her! (Me too Randy!!) Ellen says she's got pure, raw, natural talent. Kara said this song fit her perfectly. She said she hit a new level tonight. Simon said he underestimated her - said her vocal was incredible! He actually compares her to Kelly Clarkson - I can't disagree with that. Crystal so far is the one to beat...completely blows away just about all of the guys, and I really will be shocked if she's not around for a long, long time. Heck, I may download that song off of iTunes later! Is this my new Carly Smithson?? Hmmmmmm....could be!!

Haeley Vaughn - Says she's nervous tonight, and that's she's going to sing Miley Cyrus. Yes, that's right - she's singing "The Climb". During the package, we see her smiling a LOT...she's just so bubbly! So now she's going to sing a very melodramatic song - she can't smile that much during this, right? Well, I'm somewhat indifferent to this. It certainly wasn't bad, but I much prefer the original. I think she has moments when she's pushing her voice, and it at times sounds kinda strange and very pitchy. The judges HATED it. Randy said it was excruciating! He said it was so pitchy and had no connection to the song (now she's not smiling!) Ellen agrees with Randy - didn't connect to the song. Kara compares her to Alex Lambert (wow, that's a first - comparing her to an existing contestant!) She says Haeley needs a good year of vocal training, but people will root for her because they genuinely like her. Simon said it was a total and utter mess. I feel bad for Haeley....then again, when you compare her to Crystal, well you can see how far she has to go.

Lacey Brown - She takes Kara's advice from last week and sings "Kiss Me" by Sixpense None The Richer. This is not good at all. I mean, this is one of those performances that I'll be SHOCKED if a) she's still here next week, and b) if any of the judges like her this week. She still sounds nervous, and I just don't her voice at all. I do like the hair, though. But this is not a hair competition - it's a singing competition, and I don't see her lasting another week. The judges verdict? Randy said it was too Kareoke and that she didn't bring anything to it. Ellen said it was adorable - what?!? Blech...I disagree!! Kara (shocker) said the song brought out her vocal styling - but that she has to step it up. Simon said it was marginally better than last week. I just didn't get it. Still no one close to Crystal so far. C'mon ladies! It has to get better than this, right?

Katie Stevens - The adorable Katie tells us she can say "Give Me A Kiss" in 6 languages. Um...OK. ANYWAY, this week she's singing "Put Your Records On". I like this song a lot, but I predict the judges won't care for her performance. I thought it was good, but not great. Definitely had a sass about her tonight - she sounded confident, and while I may be blinded a little because she's cute as a button, I still wasn't blown away. I think she does have potential, though. She had some nice moments. Randy agreed - he said there were some good moments. Ellen wants to see her "younger" - said it sounds like something she'd hear at the dentist office. Kara is frustrated with Katie - didn't think she opened up enough until the end of the song. Simon said she's not telling us what kind of artist she wants to be, but thinks she'll stay around another week. BTW, Ryan - ENOUGH with the Justin Bieber comments! That's two night in a row!

Didi Benami - She tells us she "Meows" before she goes out to perform. Bizarre. She's going to take on "Lean On Me". When she started, I was very scared. She sounded flat. But then she really picked it up and I ended up really liking this version! It had some awkward moments, but I did like it overall. Randy said he wouldn't have chose that type of song - didn't like it. Ellen loves her voice, BUT she didn't like the song choice. Kara said it wasn't good. Said it was all over the place. Simon said it was all over the place as well, and compared her to a cat screeching. I find it amazing that Simon rips into all the people when THEY are the ones who chose these people! Poor Didi - she looks devastated at the end of the song. I really didn't think it was nearly as bad as they made it out to be.

Michelle Delamor - She is going to do something unpredictable - Creed's "Arms Wide Open". Risky...will it work? In my opinion? Not really. I guess I'm so used to the original, and this one is kinda out there. Did Todrick have something to do with this? :^) For someone who is kinda in the "Diva" mold, I don't think she's that great of a singer. I was very bored by this, and the end was pretty atrocious! She even had a look on her face.... Randy liked her outfit. But he's getting frustrated - she didn't do anything with the song. Ellen thought she did do something with the song, and forgot it was a rock song at times. Said it was pitchy at times, but has a great look and she likes her voice. Kara said it her favorite performance of hers EVER. Man, I just am not agreeing with the judges tonight. Kara said she sold the song. Simon said he's with Kara (what?!?) - he liked it. He liked the fact she didn't take the safe way out, and got 80% right. She's a pretty girl, but I am not a huge fan of her overall.

Lilly Scott - Sings Sam Cooke's "A Change Is Gonna Come". I think it's written somewhere as a rule that someone must do this song every season. Lilly is one different kind of performer - she's unique enough to almost pull this off. It's a little too out there for my tastes, but I can appreciate her performance. Randy calls her "Unique" (hmmmm...sound familiar!) Ellen said she has "It". Called it the best performance of the night. (Um...no....) Kara said thank god she tried out, and will change the game. She's opening doors for unique performers. Simon said it was good, but not crazy about it like the other judges. He said Crystal was stronger. I agree!

Katelyn Epperly - Immediately I see she's wearing less make up! She's singing Coldplay's "The Scientist". She's plays the piano during her performance, and looks great. Her singing? It's OK, but I'm bored by most of it. She does have a nice moment at the end, but again, list most of the performances this season, I'm not really blown away by it. It wasn't BAD, but it wasn't something I'll remember (wow, I sound like Simon!). Randy liked it, Ellen feel asleep during it, Kara said she kinda loves her, and Simon said it was a smart choice but that she has to not be corny during her performances. He also said it was a million times better than last week.

Paige Miles - We learn that she likes to color, but that she never goes outside the lines. What the...???? She's going to sing "Walkaway" by Kelly Clarkson. From a performance perspective, she has very little stage presence. But vocally, I thought for the most part, she was spot on. A couple of moments were NOT good, but I'd say about 90% of that I liked. Randy liked it - didn't love it, though. Didn't know if it was the best choice, though. Ellen disagrees - she LOVED it. She said she changed just enough to make it hers. Kara said it was good, but she wanted her to connect to the song more. Simon agreed with Randy - she chose the wrong song. She needs to nail it next week, according to Mr. Cowell.

Siobhan Magnus - One of my favorites is saved for last. OMG - we see some photos of her with a Mohawk! She also does lip drills. OMG - she's going to do Aretha's "Think"....I am practically GIDDY with excitement...please Siobhan. Don't let me down!! Who are we kidding? This girl can't disappoint me. Wow, just like last night, I think the best singers were first and last. I really like this girl and I'm going to vote for her tonight. Yup - you heard it here. Big fan...GOOD LORD, those pipes! And she's pretty darn adorable, too. So...um, yeah. I like her. The judges? Randy LOVED IT. Said she slayed it! In a good way....Ellen loved it too. Kara loved it too. Simon said she's strange, but was uneven. But that one note was amazing, and that she's interesting.

1 comment:

  1. I like how they criticize one contestant for not making the song their own, but then criticize the next contestant for changing the song.

    Cougar!!

    ReplyDelete