Wednesday, March 3, 2010

American Idol - Season 9 - Week 2 (The Guys)

Hey everyone...I want to apologize for not doing a write up on the guys last night, but I had a meeting that lasted until 9, then I had to watch Lost (is that show getting better or what? Still no real answers, but I'm enjoying the ride!) I'll review tonight's girl performances shortly, but first, here is a recap of last night's performances.

Michael Lynche - Big Mike tore it up tonight with his cover of James Brown's "It's a Man's World". He sounded good, and didn't go off the rails like some previous contestants. Showed another side of him, which was good! Thumbs up!!

John Park - He sings "Gravity" by John Mayer. Better than last week, but I just don't see him as the next Idol. Nice voice, but zero personality. I was bored by most of this. Again, better than last week, but giving how little I enjoyed last week, that's not saying much! Thumbs indifferent.

Casey James - Does a great job on the guitar, and a good (but not great) job vocally with "I Don't Wanna Be" (or whatever that song is called...). I think if you isolated his voice, it wouldn't be as good as he's been in the past. And his guitar actually detracted from his singing - again, I was impressed with his guitar playing, but I don't think he's that type of singer and that's not really his type of song. Not bad, but retains his status as one of my favorites. Thumbs up (but not as much as Big Mike!)

Alex Lambert - Covers a John Legend tune. I have mixed feeling on this guy. On one hand, he seems so freakin' nervous up there. And most of the time, I don't find his vocal style to my liking. But there is a quality in his vocals that appear from time to time, and I think he COULD be better than he is showing. But again, like John, I just don't see him as the next Idol. I think with more experience, he could improve dramatically. Thumbs indifferent.

Todrick Hall - Does a cover of Tina Turner's "What's Love Got To Do With It". Nowhere near as much of a train wreck that "Since U Been Gone" was last week, but I just shrugged my shoulders when I heard it. His voice isn't bad, but I was bored by it. I think this guy is better than this, but I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves this week. I agree with the judges - you don't have to rearrange every song!! Just sing it, dude!! Thumbs down.

Jermaine Sellers - OMG - during the package before he sings, we see him rockin' his onesie...wha??? Anyway, this guy is a little kookie. He proceeds to slay Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On?" And I don't mean that in a good way. Like so many of these guys, I can hear occasionally in his voice a nice tone, but more often than not, he's extremely pitchy. And I just wasn't into this song. The guys so far are not really bringing it tonight. Thumbs down.

Andrew Garcia - Sings James Morrison's "You Give Me Something". I was extremely disappointed in Andrew tonight (and last week). The judges keep bringing up "Straight Up", and while it may be unfair, his version of that was awesome. He hasn't lived up to it since. He does have a good voice, I just think he needs to pick the right songs. I really couldn't stand this performance tonight - not good. I hope he's around next week, because this is a guy from Hollywood I thought had potential, and I still think he has it. Thumbs down.

Aaron Kelly - He sings "My Girl" and I actually quite enjoyed it. He's more confident this week, and I predict that he will get better and better. He's only 16, and like someone like Clay Aiken before him, I wouldn't be surprised if a month from now he is a completely different and more mature singer. I predict this - I think he stays around, and don't be surprised if he has a showstopper performance in him. Not quite there yet, but he's on the road to it. Thumbs up.

Tim Urban - Dirk does a song I think I've heard before, but I don't know the title. Anyway, when I first heard it yesterday, I thought it was horrible. But then I listened to it again (and one more time for good measure), and I have to agree with Simon - he was MUCH better this week. I don't think he should have been in the top 12 guys to begin with, but I'll cut him some slack this week. Thumbs sideways - not great, but not horrible.

Lee Dewyze - They saved the best for last tonight. Lee really flew under the radar but I heard something last week, and it only got better this week. There is something about the tone of his voice that I think is special - like they said, you can imagine hearing him on the radio NOW. His version of "Lips of an Angel" was great. Big thumbs up!! I see him sticking around for a while...you know, he kinda reminds me vocally of slightly harder rocking Adam Duritz of Counting Crows.

So there you have it - my favorites were Big Mike, Casey James, Aaron Kelly and Lee Dewyze. The rest could go and I wouldn't lose any sleep.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to review TONIGHT'S episode with the ladies!

1 comment:

  1. American Idol contestants don't sing enough Van Halen. Wait - I don't think anyone has ever sung a Van Halen song. Oh, the shame.

    ReplyDelete